trouble with wireless phone jacks

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by banew19, Jan 18, 2006.

1. banew19

banew19 New Member

Sep 23, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Hello all,

For X-mas I bought my brother a TiVo and he loves it. Problem is there was no phone jack near his TV, so we went and got the wireless phone jacks. They worked great for about 2 weeks, now it says call interupted when you try and connect to the TiVo service. I can do a test call and it works fine, and when you try and do a call on the wireless phone jack it goes all the way to downloading and hangs there for a while and then says call interupted.

Has anyone else seen this before?

Thanks

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Did the phone jacks claim to support modems and fax machines? If not, then there could be proiblems. You could try a dialing prefix of ,#019 to see if that helps.

3. no-blue-screen

no-blue-screen New Member

Feb 14, 2005
    Laurel, MD
    If you are going to hook up your TiVo, they need to say "wireless modem jack" instead of "wireless phone jack". The wireless modem jacks will of course still work with regular telephone, but they are designed to allow modems and fax machines to be connected. The cheaper wireless phone jacks rarely work for modems and you have about 50/50 chance of the fax machine working over them (just from my experience). I would return them and get one that actually says "wireless modem jack". Otherwise, you will continue to have an unreliable and/or very slow connection. Good luck.

4. RonDawg

RonDawg Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...
    If your brother has a computer network in his house (whether wired or wireless) a good alternative is to use the NetGear XE102 Powerline adapter. These work similar to the wireless phone/modem jacks, except it's for ethernet.

They're a bit pricey at $60 for each adapter (one at the router, the other at the TiVo) but I've seen them on eBay for as little as $25 each. However, even at $60 each that's not much more than what those wireless phone/modem jacks retail for.

An alternative that I used with my Series I Sony SVR-2000, which was not near a phone jack, is to use an extra-long phone cord and plug it in once a week.

5. no-blue-screen

no-blue-screen New Member

Feb 14, 2005
    Laurel, MD
    Ron, good point. I use the XE102 to connect my setup. I have my xbox 360 and modified HR10-250 DTiVo connected to a five port switch which uplinks to the XE102 at my Entertainment center and then I have another XE102 in my office which of course plugs into my router. I am very happy with them.

6. TiVoJerry

TiVoJerry Caavo employee (Ex-TiVo, '00-'16)

Jul 26, 2005
    Woodside, CA
    I did some testing with wireless modem jacks in the past and figure it wouldn't hurt to post some extra information here as well, although it seems most likely that the OP is only using a wireless phone jack.

All 4 wireless modem jacks that we recommend (see this article) are manufactured by the same company and will work. However, there are some specific troubleshooting steps for wireless modem jacks that need to be addressed. These are taken from the phonex set of instructions, but apply to all modem jack models.
    ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS
    A surge protector absorbs RF (radio frequency) and the wireless modem jack puts an RF signal on the wiring of the home. The surge protector absorbs much of the RF signal that the units send, which reduces the performance of the system. The closer the units are to the surge protector, the more the signal is absorbed by the suppressor. The wireless modem jack cannot be plugged into or in the same electrical outlet as a multi-outlet strip or surge protector.

This last line means that the wireless modem jacks need to be plugged directly into the wall outlet, not an extension chord or surge protector. It also means that the other socket in the wall outlet cannot even have a surge protector, or in some cases an extension chord, plugged into it.

In many cases, I have found that this was the problem the customer was experiencing.
    LINE SPLITTER
    A line splitter plugs directly into the hard wired phone jack and separates line one and line two into two separate phone jacks. The customer may run a phone cord
    from line one or line two directly into the base unit, which in turn allows the extension to pick whichever line the base is connected to. In other words, if two lines are being used, only one line can operate through the wireless modem
    jack system.
    CAUTION: The telephone line splitter should not be attached to the extension unit.
    FLUORESCENT LIGHTS/HALOGEN LIGHTS
    Fluorescent and halogen lights emit feedback onto the electrical lines, causing static or interference on the extension.
    DIMMER SWITCHES
    Dimmer switches emit radio frequency (RF) similar to the wireless modem jack. A dimmer switch in the same room as the wireless modem jack system may result
    in static on the extension.

***Also, if the customer has the units plugged into a "switched" electrical outlet (one controlled by a wall switch), they may experience a similar problem. If the
    switch is off, the units don't get power and cannot function***
    Appliances such as touch lamps, dimmer switches, fluorescent and halogen lights, etc. may cause static. A radio frequency line filter (RF or AC line filter) can be
    used with the interfering appliance. This will solve most static problems caused by the above mentioned items(when it is possible to plug the interfering appliance
    directly into the filter.)

DO NOT plug the wireless modem jack into the line filter. This will reduce the performance of the modem jacks.
    SEPARATE POWER CIRCUITS (my own addition)
    If the two units are placed on separate power circuits in the home, the signal has to go through the circuit box. Poor electrical connections between the two circuits
    may also cause static. It will be necessary to try placing the wireless modem jacks into differenct wall outlets to eliminate static interference.

Customers may not always like the way they'll have to place these throughout a home, particularly a small "wall outlet challenged" apartment, but these troubleshooting steps are for the wireless modem jacks, not the actual device transmitting signals through them.

Basically, the customer should plug a telephone into the extension unit and listen to the line quality. If there is static on the line, there will be problems downloading
    data.

7. Jerry_K

Jerry_K Don't know much

Feb 7, 2002
    Maryland
    I am a newbie to networking Tivo products. I will be trying to get 4 new DirecTivos networked. I currently have a wireless router which uses three wired ports for my computer room and wireless to my dads laptop. I found the XE102 product and wondered if I could just plug one in at each Tivo and one at the router end? I really don't want to get deep into WEP etc. The router I have automatically protects the network with WAP which I think does not work with Tivo. Netgear game adapters would be fine if they will work with WAP.

8. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    I'd use the game adapter.

That saidm DirecTV DVRs aren't immediately networkable. See the Underground for more on that.

9. Jerry_K

Jerry_K Don't know much

Feb 7, 2002
    Maryland
    Yes I am aware that the DirecTivo will have to be "tweaked" to get many useful features.

My fear with the game adapters is that I will never figure out all the "security" issues if it is not as simple as the notebook computer. I have zero linux knowledge. Cookbook (or is it InstantCake) I can do. But beyond keying in exact strings from someones great instructions, I am baffled.

I am posting this here since I saw that someone had used the XE120.