1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trouble with SlidePro Remote (RF), and Metal HT Cabinet

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by audiodane, Jan 9, 2018.

1. audiodane

audiodane Member

Oct 28, 2009
    Hi all,

So I've had a Tivo Roamio for a while now (Black Friday 2016, I think?).. love it. Got a slidepro remote. Never really got it working well. Slide it open and often times it would miss keypresses, no matter hard slow or hard I pushed them. I ended up just not using the keyboard funcitonality for over a year. :(

Recently my wife asked why it didn't work so I thought I would revisit and ask here. I tried talking to Tivo support but they just gave me a knowledge-base article on how to reset the pairing. I don't think that was it. It seemed like it was more to do with some internal connections not being very good.. SOmetimes I would hold the top (slid-open portion) just barely not all the way open, or at an angle (like trying to slide just one side down but not the other) and it would work better.

Does that sound familiar to anyone here? DO I have a bum remote and should have contacted Tivo a year ago and now just need to buy a new one? I'm extremely handy (an Electrical Engineer by trade), so if there is a DIY fix to making it work better, I'm all ears...

Second- I just recently moved all my equipment into my first HT cabinet (yay!) ... but with all the metal, I had to unpair the RF completely and go back to good old IR (through an IR repeater/emitter to the rack) ... At this point, the keyboard doesn't work at all. I don't know if it's becaue the keyboard requires an RF connection, or if whatever was "barely" making contact previously is completely broken now, or what ...

TiVo has an RF USB adapter but apparently my Roamio is not a supported target... am I just stuck with IR and no keyboard functionality?

thanks in advance,
    ..dane

2. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    It does sound like you have a bad remote and obviously too late to do anything about it other than replace it. I believe you do need RF to use the keyboard.

Scott

3. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Both my slides failed the same way - ribbon connector. I’ve found a non-slide to be far more reliable. Just use your phone when you need a keyboard

4. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Sounds like you may have created a Faraday cage using a metal cabinet (not sure whay ht means). Keyboard does bit work in ir mode.

You can open the remote to see about the cable. Your phone keyboard is a viable option to the slide.

5. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    ht (HT) is Home Theater. I used to think it was High Tech. :)

6. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Yeah, but not the letters, which defeats the purpose :(