trouble transferring IC image to new HD

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Rulison, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Rulison

Rulison New Member

Jan 2, 2012
    I found the following post on another site. My PC is all SATA on the motherboard. I was able to mount my CDROM using "sde1". When I got to the last step (restore...), it would not recognize my new target harddrive. I tried sda, sdb, sdc, sdd, etc. Any ideas on how to transfer the 00001 IC image from the thumb drive to the HD would be appreciated.

Here's the post I tried to follow:

"This post details the steps I used to make a new TIVO drive using a computer with only SATA (no IDE).

First, unzip the ISO. I use Winzip. After downloading the .zip, unzip and you'll have another "zipped" file with the extension .ISO. Unzip that one and you'll see the files and folders.
    Copy the InstantCake image to a flash/thumbdrive. Put it in the root of the thumbdrive for ease (but you can have other stuff on the drive). The image is found in your InstantCake files under /_images. It's the really big 000001 file.
    Go over to mfslive.org and download their mfslive ISO (you'll need to register on their forum to access this file).
    Burn the mfslive ISO to a cd. I use CyberLink Power2Go and chose the option "Burn disk image."
    Set up the computer on which you'll be doing your work. Turn the computer off first and unplug the power cable. Then, unplug the computer's hard drive and plug in the new TIVO SATA drive. Make sure your BIOS is set up to boot to cdrom.
    Start the computer with the MFSLIVE cd in the cdrom drive. After it finishes scrolling through all of the details about your computer, use SHIFT-PAGE UP/DOWN to locate the place where it assigned your new TIVO hard drive a sd* designation. Mine was sda.
    Plug your USB thumbdrive in and you'll see the Linux system assign that drive a sd* designation. Here was the trick for me - my thumbdrive was sdb but I had to point to the first partition to mount it.
    Mount the thumbdrive. I used this code:
    mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /dos
    Check that you can see your 00001 file by typing cd /dos and then ls.
    Use the following command to transfer the InstantCake from the thumbdrive to your new TIVO drive:
    restore -s 128 -xzpi /dos/00001 /dev/sda (<-or whatever your sd* is)"

2. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Once you've actually mounted /dos, you can also do

ls /dos

to see what's in /dos without having to change the active or working or whatever linux calls it directory

As for

restore -s 128 -xzpi /dos/00001 /dev/sda

the -z switch isn't really necessary, and if you're going with a fairly bigger than stock replacement drive, say 1TB instead of a 160GB, then it might be a good idea to use a larger number after

-s

to get a bigger swap partition, for instance

-s 512

if using a 1TB drive and

-s (a number between 999 and 1024)

if using a 2TB, although going over 1TB may need some additional gymnastics.

3. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    I had to use the flashdrive method because InstantCake would not recognize the DVD drive on my laptop (it could boot from it but not mount it to get the image). I used an inexpensive USB to IDE/SATA adapter and MFSTools had no problem recognizing it.

4. Rulison

Rulison New Member

Jan 2, 2012
    My original post might not have been too clear. I was able to mount the thumb drive (using drive designation "sde1"), and was then able to use the ls command to see the files on it (including 00001). What I could not do was use the restore command (restore -s 128 -xzpi /dos/00001 /dev/sda), or any variation of it using alternate drive designations ("sdb", "sdc", etc.) for the target hard drive.

Perhaps a different approach - is there a way to use MFSTools to burn the 00001 image from the thumb drive (mounted or not) to the new blank hard drive?

Sorry guys - I'm new at this. Appreciate the feedback so far.

5. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If you're able to mount the flash drive I assume you're booting from the MFS Live cd successfully.

That part where it says use shift and page up to go back to look at the boot messages? If your intended target drive isn't showing up there, then the operating system loaded by the cd isn't seeing the drive. Which is probably because the computer itself isn't seeing the drive.

Disconnect ALL drives from the computer. Including any optical drives and including any USB drives.

Hook up the target drive.

Boot the computer and hit the delete key or whatever you have to do to get into the BIOS.

See if the drive shows up.

If not, you need to solve that problem before any TiVo -wrangling software will do you any good.

Report back.

6. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    That's exactly what I did, copied the image to a thumbdrive, booted up MFSTools, and followed the steps you outlined. As Unitron said, scroll back to see if the hard drive actually does show up as mounted. My suggestion for an alternate method is to use a USB to IDE/SATA cable instead of cracking open your PC to mount the drive. That worked for me.