Trouble getting into KickStart on Series 4

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by jackpollack, Jan 9, 2020.

Tags:
  1. jackpollack

jackpollack Member

Apr 1, 2002
    I have a Tivo that says "Series 4" on the front. I want to perform a hard drive KickStart test on it. I googled "Tivo Series 4" and think it is a "Premiere"

The KickStart info at https://www.weaknees.com/tivo-kickstart-codes.php says that there should be yellow/amber flashing light after powering up the Tivo. I never get a yellow light. I tried holding down pause button at various times during the startup process but never get a KickStart screen. I also tried the KickStart instructions for some of the other Tivo models, but can't get into KickStart.

1. Am I correct that I have a Premiere?
    2. Why no flashing yellow light?
    3. How do I get into KS if I dont get the yellow light?

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    1: model number from the back of the unit?
    2: Sounds like a bad unit, perhaps hard drive or power supply.
    3: You don't.

3. jackpollack

jackpollack Member

Apr 1, 2002
    I will have to get the model #, it is actually my parents tivo.

>2: Sounds like a bad unit, perhaps hard drive or power supply.
    >3: You don't.
    The Tivo does boot to regular Tivo screens, but is very slow, that is why I want to perform a KickStart HD SMART test before cloning the HD

4. jackpollack

jackpollack Member

Apr 1, 2002
    Is there a Tivo menu where I can get the model number? Getting to the back of the tivo to see the model number will be difficult.

5. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    https://support.tivo.com/articles/FAQ/TiVo-Service-Number-and-Model-Number-Table

In System Information there is the software version. The last three digits are the first three digits of the model number. If there are two coax connectors the it is OTA and Cable. Only one means cable, no OTA.

example: 746500 would look like 20.7.4b.RC3-xxx-x-746.

6. jmbach

jmbach der Neuerer

Jan 1, 2009
    The hard drive testing through the kickstart portal is not very good. Many times it never finishes but keeps going. You would be better off removing the drive and testing it with the manufacturer's diagnostic (usually wd diagnostic ) with the short test and long read test.

kpeters59 likes this.