Trivia--Win A S3

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by A-1, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Jul 2, 2007 #1 of 24
    A-1

A-1 New Member

Mar 12, 2007
    Chicago
  2. Jul 8, 2007 #2 of 24
    gizmo123

gizmo123 New Member

Mar 21, 2006
    Anyone try to enter this one? I think I got the answers, but not 100% sure on a couple of them. I'll share mine after the 10th ;)

3. dkh7m

dkh7m New Member

Jun 23, 2006
    i entered. here's what i submitted:

1. Which invention's name dropped an H because Americans are foul-mouthed and mostly illiterate? BIC pen

2. What was invented when a guy couldn't get to his delicious, delicious ice cream in time? mechanical ice cream scoop

3. What popular product could you make legally in your bathtub, as the formula has never been patented? coca-cola

4. Jamie Lee Curtis, famous movie star and children's novelist, is the inventor of what? baby diaper w/ pocket in it for baby wipes

5. What Utah native and aspiring Disney parks employee is the reason millions never got laid in the '80s (and probably still don't today)? nolan bushnell, founder of atari

6. Bonnie Tyler and Celine Dion owe Roberto Del Rosario a huge debt of thanks. Why? he invented the karaoke machine

7. Why are we thanking Ed Peterson for our weight problems and wrapper-strewn car floors? he invented the egg mcmuffin

8. Who was the original scissor sister? louise austin, patented pinking shears in 1893

9. Why does Gloria Steinem hate May 9th, 1958, more than any other date? mattel inc. introduced the barbie doll on that date

10. What item patented in 1999 allows children (and Richard Gere) to keep their gerbils and hamsters close to them at all times? the gerbil shirt

11. We have a lumberjack to thank for what, er, handy invention? jergens hand lotion (andrew jergens was once a lumberjack)

4. gizmo123

gizmo123 New Member

Mar 21, 2006
    I had all the same except for:

2. Evenrude outboard motor

8. Leonardo Da Vinci - probably wrong though - like your answer better

5. rcobourn

rcobourn Registered Snoozer

Nov 10, 2004
    Phoenix, AZ

Advertisements

You sure you wanted to share that? The winner is selected from the pool of correct (or most nearly correct) entries.

6. A-1

A-1 New Member

Mar 12, 2007
    Chicago
    contest ended yesterday. no more entries

7. dkh7m

dkh7m New Member

Jun 23, 2006
    crap! just googled it. nice find. guess i won't be getting that S3 :(

8. MisterUCLA

MisterUCLA Member

Mar 31, 2002

I also chose Da Vinci.

darn.

9. gizmo123

gizmo123 New Member

Mar 21, 2006
    Some of the questions were kind of vague and could have more than one correct answer. Supposedly Da Vinci invented the scissors, but not sure if that's 100% true. "Original Scissor Sister" probably asking for a female - although the band Scissor Sisters are almost all men. I bet Austin is the correct answer.

10. A-1

A-1 New Member

Mar 12, 2007
    Chicago
    Winner to be announced July 17th

11. phoenixZed

phoenixZed New Member

Jan 5, 2007
    Looks like I missed #2 as well, good answer. For #5, I put Raymond Noorda, CEO of Novell between 1982 and 1994, who assembled the team that created Novell Netware and acquired Unix System Laboratories, therefore creating the systems to which NCEs (Novell Certified Engineers) and UNIX geeks could devote their lives and avoid procreation. :)

I think they probably are looking for Bushnell and Atari, but I remember Atari being a 70's thing, flaming out in the early 80's

12. cloudburner

cloudburner Community Balloonist

Feb 3, 2007
    WNW Illinois

for 2 - I went with - Dippin' Dots
    (i.e. colder ice cream)

for 3 - I went with - Red Bull
    (can't post URL that my answer was based upon)

for 5 - I went with - Pixar’s founder and president, Ed Catmull
    (can't post URL that my answer was based upon)

for 10 - I went with -
    United States Patent 5,921,204 - Positionable and expandable tube system
    (what number was the shirt??)

- - - Jim

13. gizmo123

gizmo123 New Member

Mar 21, 2006
    I originally thought Dippin' Dots since it is flash frozen - ? so doesn't take as long to make but decided that was a stretch. Again, I bet many of these questions could technically have more than one right answer. Hopefully they will post the answers tomorrow.

14. gizmo123

gizmo123 New Member

Mar 21, 2006
    And the winner is ... NOT ME! :(

answers here

Oh well, at least I was one of only 10 to get all the answers right! At least I think I did - I demand a recount!

15. gizmo123

gizmo123 New Member

Mar 21, 2006
    7. Why are we thanking Ed Peterson for our weight problems and wrapper-strewn car floors?

Uh ... actually that would be Herb not Ed Peterson

16. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    4) Q. Jamie Lee Curtis, famous movie star and children's novelist, is the inventor of what?

A. A diaper with a front pouch that holds moist towelettes.

Wait.. wasn't that one of the "inventions" on American Inventor this year?

17. MisterUCLA

MisterUCLA Member

Mar 31, 2002
    Me and my girlfriend entered and we both got the correct answers. 20% of winning and nothing.

I also demand a recount.

18. MisterUCLA

MisterUCLA Member

Mar 31, 2002
    Did they accept Gerbil Shirt for this question? Their link doesn't mention the name.

If not, they really need to recount.

19. cloudburner

Feb 3, 2007
    WNW Illinois

as was said before - many have multiple answers

I truly think that Red Bull is the better answer because at least all the ingredients are known ... you can't say that about Coca-Cola

20. cloudburner

Feb 3, 2007
    WNW Illinois
    Buried in their website are their generic contest rules -

I hope that they didn't somehow throw out your entries because they from their perspective they thought it was one person trying to get two entries in the drawing