Triple LNB and Multiswitch Problem!

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by uberstein, Jun 16, 2004.

1. uberstein

uberstein mmmmmmm..... Tivo

Jul 4, 2003
    Florida

Advertisements

I just set up my new Triple LNB for my locals...
    I have 2 Dtivos each needing 2 lines of course...

I HAD a dual LNB running to a 8 way multiswitch...

I took the existing 2 lines and connected them to
    the new 3 LNB with built in multiswitch 4 output connection
    dish and got good signal strength for all satellites....

But in the final tivo setup stage I got a bunch of
    connection errors and not detecting 110/119 errors.

I then took the two lines off the mulitiswitch and
    and connected them directly to the tivo lines of
    one of the receivers and it works fine.

What am I missing?

I checked the noob board but am still lost. I got this...

8. What about multiswitches with Elliptical dishes? If you have the oval dish with two "dual LNBs" (4 cables), each of the Dual LNB's look at different satellites (101 degree and 119 degree satellites). A multiswitch is needed to see the second satellite. A multiswitch comes with the dish and is usually have 4 outputs. Multiswitches for elliptical dishes need to have 4 inputs so it can switch between the 4 LNBs rather than the 2 in the explaination in #7 above

Do I need that 4 Input multi switch?
    I does not mention a triple LNB or is that "dual" the same thing

2. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    Yes, you will need a 4 input multi-switch.

There are 4 distinct signals that can come out of a phase III dish.
    When you hook directly to the dish, that wire can carry any one of the 4 signals. But only 1. Which is fine with a direct connection.

When a multiswitch is put into the mix, you have to make sure the multi-switch can get all 4 signals from the dish itself. Thus you need to have 4 wires coming from the dish to the multiswitch.

The multiswitch will then lock in on 1 of each of the 4 signals, per wire.
    Then when a reciever makes the request for one of those signals, the multiswitch is smart enough to route the proper signal down that wire, or all the wires, if all 8 are asking for the same signal.

The original 4 feeds to the dish don't change, and never have to.

Triple LNB is refering to the number of hockey puck sized recievers that are on the physical dish.

Older terminology Single and Dual LNB, refered to the number of cables that could be hooked directly to that single hockey puck that was there on the first and second generation of dishes.

Here in the forums we try to refer to the number of wires coming out of the dish, and the size (oval or round) or by the PHASE III nomenclature.

So..... to fix your issue.
    You will need to run the other two lines, and get yourself a 4x8 multiswitch, if you want to see the 110 and 119 on all your boxes. Else you are risking damage of your TiVo's, Dish, and existing multiswitch.

3. Jul 7, 2004 #3 of 31
    rptally

rptally New Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Frisco, TX
    I have the same problem. The dish is oval, 3 LNB's and all 4 wires coming out of the satellite dish have been plugged into a 5x8 multiswitch. If the TiVo uses one of the 4 directly then all three satellites work fine. If I take all 4 wires and plug them into a 5x8 multiswitch only the 101 sat is seen and the others have errors. Can anyone give me a way to make this work?

4. Jul 7, 2004 #4 of 31
    bigpuma

bigpuma Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2003
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Is the multi-switch cascadable? Post the model number if you are not sure. Not all switches are compatible with the built in multi-switch on the triple LNB dish and your symptoms would be the result. I believe there are tone injectors you can add to make the switch work correctly but I am not certain.

edit: take a look at number 11 in the Multi-switch FAQ

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=55509

5. Jul 7, 2004 #5 of 31
    rptally

rptally New Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Frisco, TX

Advertisements

The multiswitch was part of my new house. It is a UStec 5x8 Multiswitch CX-DSS58 and is "HDTV compatible". Has anyone made this work with a phase III dish?

6. Jul 7, 2004 #6 of 31
    Want1394

Want1394 New Member

Oct 4, 2001
    Silicon Valley
    rptally,

No, the switch you have is an old-style switch and only works with the old dishes where the connections are directly to the LNB's, not to another multiswitch as is integrated into the new Phase III dish. You will need a new switch. A call to tech support at DirecTV may get you a free one installed. (Who installed your dish?)

Detailed info is here:
    http://www.ustecnet.com/pdf/install/CXHDA58.pdf

7. Jul 7, 2004 #7 of 31
    bigpuma

bigpuma Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2003
    Morgan Hill, CA
    Want 1394 is correct.

8. Jul 8, 2004 #8 of 31
    rptally

rptally New Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Frisco, TX
    Thank you for the information. However, the document says:

Kit Contents
    1 CX-DSS58 HDTV Multiswitch

This is the multiswitch that I have. FYI, the install was a DirectTV contractor.

9. Jul 8, 2004 #9 of 31
    outerlimits

outerlimits SKI BUM. Got Snow?

May 24, 2003
    Berryville,...
    Check comments by Want1394.

That multiswitch will not work with your Triple LNB Dish. You need a multiswitch that is specifically built for the Triple LNB Dish output (this dish has a multiswitch built in)

Where did you get the Triple LNB Dish?

10. thaspot

thaspot New Member

Oct 20, 2003
    Texas
    I had to retire my old multiswitch when I upgraded my dish. Bummer, but it had to be done.

11. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    That old multiswitch would work for the older style oval dish that had separate LNBs and no integrated switch. The 101 sat LNB connects to Sat A inputs and the 110/119 Sat to the Sat B inputs. You could get that switch to work with the newer oval dish which has an integrated multiswitch be inserting a 22kHz signal generator in each line to the Sat B inputs of the older switch.

12. Nuwanda

Nuwanda TiVo is the S***!!!!

Oct 14, 2002
    Charleston, SC
    Anyone know if the Dynex DX-MS101 will work with my oval dish? I hope so, since I already told my wife we could add another TV/TiVo downstairs, bringing my total number of connections I need to 6. Since I currently only have four, this will be very bad for me if I was incorrect.

Nuwanda the Neutron Manipulator

1 x Sony SAT-T60 (146 hours)
    2 x RCA DVR-40's (OEM) - Maybe...lol

13. rptally

rptally New Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Frisco, TX
    Based upon your feedback last night, I went to Tweeters in Frisco and bought a Terk BMS-58 multi-switch and bypassed the US Tec multi-switch. The result was that my TiVo's are very happy now able to see all 3 satellites on both inputs and I'm able to view HD channels with my Hughes HD box. Another nice suprise was that the signal strength that was in the low 92's to 94's is now rock solid at 100%. :)

http://www.terk.com/pdfs/BMS58.pdf

Thank you all for your help and information! :)

14. edward3132

edward3132 New Member

Oct 7, 2003
    Arlington, TX
    rptally

Glad you got eveything working. The Terk BMS-58 works great but it is overpriced usually at most retail outlets (approx. $150). On many sites on the internet it can be had for $70-80. A google search will bring up several. You have spent enough already for a system that was not as advertised. It is hard to believe UStec advertises this part as HDTV compatable.

15. RDJR

RDJR New Member

Mar 27, 2001
    FL, US
    I have two lines running from my Phase 3 to the ms in the basement and one line from the Phase 3 running directly to my HD receiver. 3 Dtivo's from the ms and my HD receiver straight from the dish all work like a charm.

16. bonscott87

bonscott87 Done.

Oct 3, 2000
    The key is whatever multiswitch you have it must be *cascadable*.

17. Deano

Deano New Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    I currently have a 18x24 dish with the four outputs from the LNBs running directly to a Spaun SMS5802NF multiswitch. Can I install one of the new Triple LNBs with integrated multiswitch and run those 4 outputs to the Spaun? The Spaun website is not exactly user friendly.

Thanks!

Regards,
    Dean

18. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
  19. Deano

Deano New Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Jim,
    Thanks for the quick reply. Forgive me for asking but how are you deciphering that from the description on that website?

Thank you!

Regards,
    Dean

20. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    It stated that it was capable of "Satellite selection by 22kHz switching." This is what is used to select the 110/119 satellite pair. This switch sends the 22kHz to the integrated switch so that one knows to switch to the 110/119 pair. Otherwise you get the 101 sat. It's late and that sentence was awful, but you get the idea.