Trim a show after download?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by bradleys, Sep 17, 2017.

1. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007

Advertisements

Figured something out

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  2. jackstoker

jackstoker Member

Jul 31, 2017
    I’ve probably overlooked something, but here’s what I do:

1. Install VideoReDo (the video editor once the recording is on the computer). kmttg plays very nicely with this editor.

2. Set kmttg to use VideoReDo for the video editing (File, Configure, VideoReDo tab), and check boxes:
    Enable VideoRedo
    Use VideoRedo GUI to review detected commercials
    Enable VideoRedo QS Fix video dimension filter
    Only allow 1 VRD job at a time (I don’t know if this is necessary, it’s just what I do)

3. In kmttg, after the green SKIP icon appears for the desired show, right-click on the show, then click “AutoSkip from SkipMoce [v]” to get the “S” added next to the SKIP icon. That really helps editing, otherwise you may want to check the Ad Detect box.

4. In kmttg, check boxes:
    decrypt
    QS Fix
    Ad Cut
    captions (if desired)

5. Click the show to copy to the computer, and press the START JOBS button.

6. When the download is complete, QS Fix will run, then the video will be loaded into VideoReDo by kmttg, with the show’s commercials marked based upon the SKIP data.

7. kmttg pauses while you’re editing the video in VideoReDo, waiting for you to:
    Adjust the automatically marked sections to cut (if desired).
    Mark additional sections to cut (if desired).
    Save the Project (don’t save the video, kmttg will make that happen, and will apply the cuts).
    Close VideoReDo.

8. kmttg resumes when VideoReDo closes, running the adcut procedure, which makes the cut video and placing it in the folder specified in the kmttg configuration.

9. If captions was checked, kmttg will run ccextractor to make the captions, matching the cut video, and places that SRT file in the cut folder.

10. If other Jobs are in the kmttg queue, the next job will be processed.

3. waynomo

waynomo My One Time

Nov 9, 2002
    Seven...
    That's pretty much what I do. VideoReDo works great. kmttg comes with some freeware tools. I believe they work well, but I have never tried them.

bradleys likes this.
  4. bradleys

Oct 31, 2007
    Thanks, guys - I am just trying to remove an hour of the football game from "The Orville" I may give this a try just for the learning oportunity...

(My workaround was to manually record the repeat on Thursday! :)

5. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada

Advertisements

I think kmttg has a way to transfer from the pause point. So if all you want to do is crudely chop off the beginning you could probably use that.

bradleys likes this.
  6. jackstoker

jackstoker Member

Jul 31, 2017
    That would handy, but I can't find a way to get kmttg to copy anything except the entire video.

You can, of course, cut out the leading section when VideoReDo opens to show the SKIP cut points.

7. jackstoker

jackstoker Member

Jul 31, 2017
    I don't see episode 2 repeating on Thursday. Thursday is episode 3, and episode 4 on Thursday a week later, so I assume that's the new night.

8. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I could be misremembering. I don't use kmttg much.

jackstoker likes this.
  9. bradleys

Oct 31, 2007
    Well, that was about as easy as it gets!

1) On TiVo, play the show and pause where you want The show to start. Hit the TiVo key to commit the pause point.

2) on KMTTG select File > Resume downloads to turn on Resume Downloads.

3) Refresh the NPL and your show will update with a X% in the icon field

4) Initiate the download with your normal steps. Viola, I just cut 55 minutes of football from my Orville recoding!

10. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    This is a MINOR nitpick, but just hitting LEFT to go back to the show listing is enough.. (Just that it's more steps to get back to your episode if you hit Tivo)

But for #3, you do NOT have to refresh the NPL. It used to do that (years ago?), but he thankfully at some point made it so that it would refresh the pause point of just that download when you hit START for that particular recording.

(Since I easily have > 1000 recordings, refreshing NPL can take forever.. yeah, most of those are SD talk show recordings, and those are the ones I often want to save part of, the musical performance at the end.. so having to refresh NPL each time was a pain.)

11. bradleys

Oct 31, 2007
    The comskips are a little off - I may try it again.

12. jackstoker

jackstoker Member

Jul 31, 2017
    Thanks! That indeed does work, so Dan203 was right that kmttg can copy recordings beginning from their paused position.

FYI, I had trouble getting the viewed percentage for Orville to show in kmttg, and without it the entire video was copied. I tried many things to get the percentage, and nothing worked until I started playback of another video. After that Refresh caused the percentage to update. I repeated this several times on Orville and other shows just to be sure, and each time the percentage would not update, after pausing a recording (then TiVo button or Left button), until another recording or Live TV was played.

Unfortunately, the AutoSkip from SkipMode cut points are incorrectly recalculated to suit the removal of the percentage of the video that is not copied, and will have to be cleared in VideoRedo and recreated manually.

Another thing to watch, is that "Resume Downloads" doesn't get unchecked. Restarting kmttg causes that.

bradleys likes this.
  13. bradleys

Oct 31, 2007
    I might try purging the skip point table before starting the download...

jackstoker likes this.
  14. bradleys

Oct 31, 2007
    Fixed com skip

Before running the KMTTG download job I went into File > AutoSkip Table and deleted the entry for my target program.

That allowed Ad Detect and Ad Cut to find the appropriate commercial skip points.

My download now plays fine.

Fun evening!

jackstoker likes this.
  15. mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Again, you do NOT have to refresh to have kmttg download from the paused point.

Are you saying you tried left (or tivo) after pausing on the Tivo _then_ tried downloading from pause point and it WASN'T downloading from the correct point?

Again, sorry to say it again, you don't have to have kmttg show you the "correct" pause point in its UI (unless there's some kind of other bug), since it will check/update the Tivos' pause point when it starts downloading that particular show.

I use this all the time to skim through/download a bunch of late night talk shows (the last ~10 minutes or so), and do NOT refresh kmttg between shows (the show was at the beginning as far as kmttg was concerned, when I last refreshed it).

bradleys likes this.
  16. jackstoker

jackstoker Member

Jul 31, 2017
    Yes, last night I tried both the Left button that you described, and the TiVo button (on different job attempts) after pausing playback on the TiVo. Regardless of what percentage was shown, and with or without refreshing the NPL, the entire video was copied (ignoring the paused point) unless I played any other video before starting the job. I had the same result after reading your comments tonight, until I rebooted the TiVo after noticing that the TiVo failed to make a "TiVo Service Connection". While seemingly unrelated, after rebooting the TiVo, I could no longer reproduce the problem, and regardless of the percentage shown, only the portion following the paused point was being copied (as you've described). Coincidence? Maybe, maybe not, as rebooting can fix all sorts of issues, so at the moment I blame the TiVo state before rebooting.

Both bradleys and I have found that the "AutoSkip from SkipMode" cut points do not properly adjust to suit the kmttg skip of the video prior to the pause point. As bradleys stated, remove the video from the "AutoSkip Table", and use "Ad Detect" instead of SkipMode cut points. Can you verify?

Even though "Resume Download" is working as you've described, for whatever reason if I want to see the correct percentage, the percentage does not update for the paused video unless another video is played. Can you verify?

17. mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    ok, I guess I'm stumped. I think on VERY rare occasions, I've had to re-pause again, but usually it "just works" for me, unless I'm somehow doing something subconsciously, but I don't think I am.. (i.e. I do think I'm just hitting pause then hitting left).

18. jackstoker

jackstoker Member

Jul 31, 2017
    By "just works", do you mean the percentage updates for you on a just paused recording if the NPL is refreshed, without having to do anything like play another recording?

If it's not something you are specifically trying to verify, you might not notice. The only reason I noticed is because I was trying out the "Resume Downloads" feature of kmttg. To test for yourself, resume a recording that is currently showing a percentage, and move to a position where a pause would certainly be a different percentage, Left button, then refresh the NPL in kmttg.

The same experiment can be done with a recording that has not been played. Until I play some other recording or Live TV, the percentage does not appear in the NPL when it's refreshed.

kmttg is version 2.3b, and TiVo OTA is running 20.7.2.RC24.

19. mattack

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Yes. I guess I'll try that, just to make sure. (This weekend most likely)

Though I guess sometimes I DO end up playing another recording, because I skim through a few shows at once, and start downloading-from-pause-point of one of the ones I had just skimmed through.

20. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    SO what happens when the show doesn"t have the Skip data? When I tried that, I end up with nothing if a show doesn't have skip data. How do I get it to just put the uncut file into a folder instead of it putting nothing into a folder?