Treme. Am I the only one watching?

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Gunnyman, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Gunnyman

Gunnyman Just a boring dude

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    There was one thread for the first episode of season 2 but nothing else?

This is one of my favorite shows and David Simon is doing a terrific job with it.

2. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    We are about 1/2 way through season 1. I can't put my finger one it, but while it's enjoyable (and great sound/music) it just doesn't seem to go anywhere or have any pull.

We'll finish the season for sure, but no rush

3. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Looks like there are two of you now!

:D

4. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I'm watching. I watched all of season one in four days on HBO Go. Then I plowed through the six season two episodes I had on TiVo. I love the show. The music is wonderful. It's character based and there isn't much of a plot, but how much plot is there in day to day life?

Treme does music better than any other show.

Wendell Pierce (Antoine Battiste, Bunk Moreland on The Wire) deserves his own show.

5. Gunnyman

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    Agreed as does Khandi Alexander. The acting she can do with just her face is amazing.

6. kaszeta

kaszeta $nullstring TCF Club

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    I'm watching it, and enjoying it.

And heck, I keep thinking I need another trip to NO.

7. Gunnyman

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    I've never been. I really want to go.

8. Gunnyman

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    I added a spoilers warning to this thread in case anyone wants to talk about the show.

9. Mr Flippant

Mr Flippant Regular User

Jan 2, 2009
    I watch it in a N'awlins pace. Not in a rush as I savor the taste of each episode. It is almost like a documentary about life after a disaster and great music. I don't know where it is going but I am sitting back and enjoying the ride. I think if you do not love the music or really good acting there may not be much for you in the way of plot.

10. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    Waiting for Netflix.

11. BK89

BK89 New Member

Oct 11, 2005
    I am watching it, there just is not a lot to discuss as the plot is bascially non-existent.

12. frombhto323

frombhto323 Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Washington, DC
    I agree, the music from this season so far has been outstanding.

I think for some people, it suffers from Homicide/Corner/Wire inevitable comparisons. I think it is fine on its own, but not up to those standards... yet.

13. Fish Man

Fish Man Phish Food

Mar 4, 2002
    0.7 miles...
    I'm watching, and it's a reasonably good drama in any context.

As someone who lived in the city of New Orleans proper from 1984 until 2005 (when Katrina hit) and who lives 30 minutes away now (so that I visit often). And as someone who dealt with a lot of the post-Katrina red-tape government and insurance industry crapola, I really identify with the show.

A massive majority of New Orleanian's agree that the show is the most accurate depiction of life in New Orleans and the city's people ever depicted on television or film.

The fact that virtually all the supporting players are ordinary New Orleans folk, non-actors playing themselves, and the number of them that I know personally and communicate with in some capacity on a regular basis has probably exceed 50 now makes me really excited. (When I say "communicated with on a regular basis" that means they could be anything from a friend or busineess colleague to a store clerk or restaurant server in a business I frequent, all playing themselves.)

I'm particularly intrigued by the young, wealthy entrepreneurial character (Nelson Hidalgo, played by Jon Seda). He's intriguing because I am completely unable to decide if he's a decent person legitimately assisting the recovery effort or a scumbag taking advantage of victims of a disaster. I honestly can't tell. Similarly, I still, to this day, can't decide if former Louisiana governor Edwin Edwards was a good politician who was misjudged or a corrupt one who got what he deserved. New Orleans and Louisiana are like that. Both are probably both.

In any case, one thing they did get exactly right with Seda's character: He's become addicted to New Orleans. He can't imagine himself ever leaving. That happens to a lot of people who "visit" this area too. Their visit turns into the rest of their lives. (Why beat around the bush?: In 1984, it happened to ME!!)

Yep, this show is "appointment television" for me.

It's hard to be totally unbiased, but I suspect that I'd watch it for it's quality of writing, acting and production alone even if I wasn't connected with New Orleans.

14. frombhto323

frombhto323 Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Washington, DC
    I'm going with scumbag.

15. Dawghows

Dawghows Liberal Elitist

May 17, 2001
    NJ
    My wife and I talk about this after every episode. For now, at least, I'm thinking that he's not completely one or the other. I think he's a guy who's seizing and opportunity to make some money, period, regardless of whether some of the deals he's making are a little underhanded or not. In other words, I don't think he's especially altruistic or especially shady. He's just looking to make a buck. Agreed, though, that watching him walk the line is very interesting.
    I agree with this, as well. I've never been to NO at all, and this still one of our top priority shows.

16. Gunnyman

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    I think Seda's character started out as a scumbag Carpetbagger, but he's going to turn around. I think His day with the Zulus is that moment of clarity for him.

17. Fish Man

Fish Man Phish Food

Mar 4, 2002
    0.7 miles...
    This is also the way I'm leaning.

18. Fish Man

Fish Man Phish Food

Mar 4, 2002
    0.7 miles...
    Oh. By the way.

The season premier featured the above mentioned "scumbag-or-good-guy?" character having a "Frenchaletta" at Liuzza's restaurant, with one if its iconic waitresses playing herself (with several lines of dialog, no less).

<-- This picture of me was taken in Liuzza's!

19. Gunnyman

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    awesome

20. Gunnyman

Jul 10, 2003
    Upstate...
    So will LaDonna's attackers be found? Or will they just concentrate on her really sad to watch downward spiral?