Travelin' Tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by grafur, Jul 11, 2006.

1. grafur

grafur Grafur

Jan 6, 2006
    Holcombe, WI

Advertisements

We'll be RVing this winter and want to take Tivo with us. I'll have two computers with me and a wireless/wired router. The laptop has WIFI built in as well as a NIC card.
    Can Tivo connect to the laptop via hard wire network cable and have it update using the laptop WIFI as it's communications connection to "home'? I have read up a bit on the "Bridging" and tried that but the lights on the network/USB adapter from Tivo stay dark the Tivo says there's no connecton to a network.
    Other posters on the Tivo Community Forum say it is possible but give no explicit details on how to configure Tivo or the bridged network systems.
    Another way out is to get a wired to WIFI adapter for the back of the router (Internet) which Tivo has no problem hooking up with. Is an adapter such as this exist? I can't find one. Geesh, seems like a given that there should be such a thing.
    When staying at an RV park, I can logon to their WIFI for a fee for the laptop. I don't want to pay twice, once for the laptop and once for Tivo.
    Please help with some specifics if you are aware of how to achieve my goal of taking Tivo Travelin' and connect to it's home via laptop WIFI.
    Thanks,
    Grafur

2. sabu

sabu New Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Harrisburg, PA
    Did you use a crossover cable when trying to hook the TiVo to the laptop directly?

3. grafur

grafur Grafur

Jan 6, 2006
    Holcombe, WI
    The USB port on the Tivo goes to a network adapter. The network adapter is connected to the laptop using a Cat 5 network cable.

4. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    Check out the Slingbox. You can leave the Tivo at home and stream video from the Tivo over the internet using the Slingbox to your laptop or other PC with WinXP and the Slingbox software installed. You can control the Tivo remotely through the Slingbox using an IR repeater.

5. maharg18

maharg18 Active Member

Dec 3, 2002
    Chattanooga, TN

Advertisements

Like was previously said, you need to use a crossover Cat 5 cable, not a standard one.