transfers between TiVos have suddenly slowed dramatically

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by smoberly, Oct 25, 2011.

1. smoberly

smoberly Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Plano, TX
    I have a Premier in the living with a 1 TB external hard drive that I use for storing all of my programming. The hard drive is currently approximately 45% full. The TiVo is connected to my AT&T Uverse gateway via an Ethernet cable. I have a Series 3 in the master bedroom that is connected to the network via a TiVo wireless adapter. I store very little programming on this DVR and generally use it only for transferring and watching programming. It is approximately 50% full.

Historically, I could transfer a 30 minute show in 10-15 minutes....start the transfer, wait about five minutes, start the show and be able to watch it until the end...with the transfer speed exceeding my rate of watching the show.

Over the last couple of weeks, the transfer time from the Premier to the Series 3 has increased dramatically, taking over an hour to transfer a 30 minute show. The transfer time from the Series 3 to the premier has not changed.

I have made no changes to anything in my apartment. I have re-started the internet gateway and both TiVo's.....no change.

Does anyone have any other recommended troubleshooting steps that you may have to help diagnose and solve my problem of the increase in transfer time from my premier to my Series 3?

2. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    Any chance that you have started transferring HD programs and were transferring SD programs previously? In my experience, I can do the transfer and watch with SD stuff but the not the HD stuff because it takes so much longer. If you have the free Tivo Desktop or the free Tivo2Go software installed on your PC you can check the file sizes of the programs you want to transfer. I top out at about 4-5 GB per hour with a hardwired ethernet cable from my S3HD to my PC. Haven't timed the Premiere yet - it's on wireless G.

3. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    It's also possible one of your apartment neighbors has set up a new wireless network that is interfering with your wireless network.
    Change the channel that your wireless network operates on and see if that makes a difference.

4. smoberly

smoberly Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Plano, TX
    No, I generally only record HD programming.....so there has been no change in the type of programming (SD vs. HD)

5. smoberly

smoberly Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Plano, TX
    Tried this, too.....no change.

6. smoberly

smoberly Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Plano, TX
    Okay...I have a set of SlingLink Turbo PowerLine A/V Ethernet Adapters that I am currently not using in my SlingBox set up.....going to try those....maybe transferring through my apartments electrical wiring will be faster than through my home Wifi network.

More to follow....

7. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I had the exact same problem. My Wireless G adapters used to work fine and then all of a sudden every transfer slowed to a crawl. I just set one Tivo up with a MoCa adapter and it makes a huge difference. Things transfer faster than real time. I'm going to set the other one up too.

8. smoberly

smoberly Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Plano, TX
    no change to the transfer speeds...

9. GBL

GBL covert opiniative

Apr 20, 2000
    Twin Cities, MN
    To isolate the problem, could you temporarily lay an Ethernet cable between the two TiVos and use that to transfer a show?

10. tduncan1538

tduncan1538 New Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Bay City,...
    I ran into this problem shortly after introducing a Tivo Premier into my Tivo family. I have two Series 2 Tivos, I Series 3 HD and now a Tivo Premier. Now transfers from any tivo to the other tivo is REALLY slow.

I was having some series interference on my wireless router bringing my internet connection down. We think it was interference from a neighbor. We changed the Wireless 11G and 11N settings. Fixed the problem and may be the other change that impacted this.

11. sailortom

sailortom New Member

May 13, 2010
    How did you change the settings?:confused:

12. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    Basically, you need to log into the firmware of your router. That means that you bring up a web browser (like Internet Explorer) and type in the address of the router. Usually the address is http://192.168.1.1 but sometimes the first number after the "168" will be either 0 or 2. You may have to provide a login name and a password. Once you are in, there should be a tab labeled "wireless" which will allow you to change a variety of parameters. The one being mentioned above is likely the channel number. If you have logged into your router before to set the encryption key, then you already know how to get in there. If not, check your user manual or ask a techie friend for help. If you are running your router without encryption then fix that ASAP otherwise someone nearby can use your wireless for bad stuff and it's your door the police will knock on.