Transfers between TiVO HD units fail

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by sayaaah, Sep 25, 2011.

1. sayaaah

sayaaah New Member

Apr 16, 2008

Advertisements

I have 2 TiVO HD units connected via wireless net. For years have been able to transfer program files between units without problems. Recently, have been unable to transfer. Transfer starts, will go for a while, then stops before finishing. The program is gone from the destination unit as if the transfer was never started. No failure indicated in last transfer from diagnostics, just that a transfer took place, but the time is short. Nothing in the network has changed, signal strength still OK. Failure happens with or without recording activity on one or both units. I still need to do more experiments to see if it occurs in both directions, program size, etc.

2. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Have you tried restarting all units(Tivos and router)?

Also check your account at Tivo.com to ensure transfers are still enabled.

Is this happening with just one or two particular recordings, or always with any and all shows?

3. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Giving both TiVos (and everything else on the network that doesn't leave the house) static IP addresses might help, and can't hurt.

Also, the stock advice, reboot everything, router, TiVos, computer, et cetera.

And if you're doing wireless, try different channels.

Also, look for IR sources that could be confusing either machine.

4. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    I have wireless networked TiVoHDs and just started a transfer to see if my transfer still works properly. I haven't used that in a while but it has always worked great in the past, although certainly not fast.

5. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh

Advertisements

My transfer speeds have always been lousy. It usually takes me 3 hours to transfer a one hour HD program from my Tivo HD tomy TiVo HD XL. I use wireless g.

Now it is really strange. Yesterday I requested a transfer. It started immediately. An hour later it had done 2 minutes. After 3 hours it had done 5 miutes. I just checked. It is still going. 27 hours later it has done 23 minutes and is still going.

I'm curious to see if it ever finishes so I'll give it another day and see where it is. Then I'll try to restart everything to see if that helps.

6. dwit

dwit Active Member

May 4, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    What kind of router do you have? Are you using any wireless b devices on your network. If not, is the router set to "wireless g" only mode?

Still should not take nearly that long though.

7. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    Just as a benchmark, the transfer rate from my S3HD to my very capable computer, via hardwired ethernet, through a router, is somewhere between 4 and 5 GB/hour.

8. sayaaah

sayaaah New Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Did some further experiments. I had tried the reboot of everything - no help. I did notice that transfers from unit A to B were OK, but B to A failed, only on large transfers (3-4 hours, basic). Unit A is mostly full all the time. Unit B has lots of space. My guess - failure occurs when disk is nearly full. At start of transfer it does not complain about space. But, if it somehow runs out of space during the transfer, it is unable reclaim storage from the trash, or elsewhere and quietly fails. If I force delete trash, then transfer is OK. It should know how much space is required before starting the transfer, but something gets it confused.

9. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    The something that could get confused is another recording taking up space or inability to delete recordings to make room for a transfer. I don't know that one TiVo can fully comprehend all scheduled recordings and planned events on the other TiVo and to transfer from one to another probably requires the user knowing space is available. My transfer worked fine, now I have Whitney on two TiVos and probably won't watch it on either.

10. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    All devices are g, and the Netgear is set to g mode. Last night I was at about 40 minutes transferred after about 32 hours. This morning it was no longer transferring, did not complete and no reference in the Recording History. Guess it just gave up.

I'll try the reboots.

11. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    I rebooted the router and tried again. The transfer started out with it's one minute transfer per hour and then disappeared after 10-12 hours.

I then restarted both TiVos and the router and tried again. Same results.

I set up a two minute recording on my TiVo HD and tried it just to check. It successfully completed the transfer in two hours. I check the DVR Diagnostics and the transfer speed was .26 mb/s.

I do get daily podcast downloads every day without problems, but the speed is .4 mb/s.

My computer network speed seems slower than usual, but not that great.

I have XFinity Broadband with 15 mb/s speed.

This seems to point to my five year old Netgear Router.

Your thoughts?

EDIT: Just checked the compter download speeds. CNET says it is 2.8 mb/s. Speakeasy says it is 7.5 mb/s.

12. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Yesterday I unplugged everything (modem, router and both TiVos) and restarted everything. Then I set up another transfer and this afternoon it had transferred 22 minutes of the program in 30 hours.

Then I went out and bought a new router (Netgear N600 wireless dual band n). I'll set it up tomorrow and see what happens.

13. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    Set up the router (15 minutes) and did the transfer. One hour transferred in 1.75 hours. Speed was 8.83 mb/s rather than .26 mb/s. Not great, but bearable.

Wonder why old routers don't just die instead of fading away.

14. aymanme

aymanme Member

May 8, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Curious if it was generating lots of protocol errors / retries and that is why it was so slow. My setup is S3 hardwired to dual band router, then to wireless G for my other Tivo HD (using Tivo G adapter). I can transfer from the S3 to the HD and start watching within about 30s and it will keep up, so I am certainly getting decent bandwidth ... however I do have my kernels modded.