Transferring videos from PC and the CableLabs issue

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by salama, Sep 4, 2007.

1. salama

salama New Member

Sep 3, 2007
    I would like to transfer personal videos from my PC to my Tivo HD. I am not interested in transferring anything from the Tivo to my PC.

Can anyone explain why I am not able to do this and what is exactly the CableLabs issue and what does it have to do with my personal transfers?

2. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...
    Because Tivo To Come Back (TTCB) and Tivo To Go (TTG) and Multi Room Viewing (MRV) are very tightly intermingled. Tivo has admitted in a past interview that CableLabs does NOT deserve all the blame for lack of functionality in this area.

3. Phantom Gremlin

Phantom Gremlin Active Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Tualatin,...
    It's only been one short year since they introduced the S3. You'll get what you want in the fullness of time. Why rush things?
    [/sarcasm]

I also want TTCB. I think it would make a very very nice "streamer". Much more capable than the Apple TV. If TiVo can add this functionality by the end of the year I'll be happy. But it would have been much much smarter for TiVo's bottom line if they didn't take so long to have such basic functionality.

4. pkscout

pkscout Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Honolulu, HI
    I fixed your post for you. ;)

5. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    what they admitted to was that it would take an investment of resources to block out the part that cable labs has control over. During the release planning for the S3 TiVo tried the approach of working with cable labs to release a full TTG/MRV. That obviously did not work out.

TiVo has said they now have a plan to enable TTG/MRV by the end of this year for the S3 platform. Exact details of that they have not released but obviously the ability to transfer video to the TiVo would have no reason to veer from what is possible on the S2 unless it was to support more resolutions :)

6. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.

• [*}Because the device records digital cable through cablecards, features that let that content out of the box have to be approved by Cablelabs.
    • TiVo transfers have, to date, not been approved. eSATA has been approved, I believe, though, generally be Cablelabs.
    • Currently the "mechanism" to control video in/out on ones home network is an all or nothing affair. Since Cablelabs says nothing, that is what is enabled.

Because it is your personal video it is not relevant.

7. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    • Because the device records digital cable through cablecards, features that let that content out of the box have to be approved by Cablelabs.
    • Currently the "mechanism" to control video in/out on ones home network is an all or nothing affair.
    • TiVo transfers have, to date, not been approved. eSATA has been approved, I believe, though, generally be Cablelabs.
    Ergo, since Cablelabs have not approved transfer of their content with TiVo's technology, current software cannot have transfers enabled at all.

Because it is your personal video it is not relevant.

8. gwar9999

gwar9999 New Member

Jan 15, 2007
    Wow, that's great news since I've been waiting for TTCB since I purchased my S3 about 9 months ago. I'd be thrilled if they added UPnP support such that I could use a single PC server to stream video.

I currently use MediaTomb running on a linux box to stream video to my PS3. I'd rather not have to setup another server (such as Galleon) in order to stream to my TiVo.

In this age of streaming I now have 3 devices (Slimp3, PS3 and TiVo S3) that can stream audio from different servers (Slimserver, MediaTomb and Galleon, respectively). It would be nice if all of these devices could communicate w/ a single server rather than having to deploy 3 separate servers to accomplish this.

9. mike_camden

mike_camden New Member

Dec 11, 2006
    :up: :up: :up: I'm with you!!!