Transferring .tivo files to new Tivo Bolt Vox (unable to)

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by valgrom, Aug 18, 2019.

1. valgrom

valgrom Who Needs Live TV

Dec 27, 2004
    Miami, Florida
    I've seen a few threads about what apps to use PyTivo, Tivo Desktop, kmttg, and others relating to issues linking the account through Tivo Desktop, but nothing specific to my actual one so I hopefully someone's got a tip:

Just pulled the trigger on the summer sale and got a Tivo Bolt 1TB (cable) to replace my aging Roamio Pro. I bought the Toshiba 3TB drive and replaced it. After using kmttg to download everything I wanted to keep from the old Tivo (both .Tivo and mpeg2 formats) I swapped out the boxes and activated the new one.

The cable card was a bit wonky, but a quick call to Comcast resolved that and it's working like a champ now. My issue is when I try to transfer back all the recordings I downloaded. First I tried PyTivo, but either I'm doing something wrong (could use some tips on using it) or it's just not working at all. I've got the shares added and saved, but nothing is showing up under Devices in the Bolt.

A while back I had purchased Tivo Desktop so I re-downloaded the latest version, registered it, linked my account (didn't have a problem doing with upcase/lowcase account name). The problem comes when I try to share out one of the folders where I've got my downloaded content. At first I get the message:

"The folder contains Tivo Video Recordings transferred from a DVR (duh!). These recordings cannot be transferred back. Auto Transfer other files in this folder?"

(the sarcasm emphasis is mine...not in the actual message). The point is, OF COURSE I want to transfer recordings that I've downloaded from another Tivo. That's the point of swapping out Tivos when you still have content there...

More interestingly, I get the next message after clicking OK on the previous one (image below):

This DVR (as you can see in the lower of the two pics) is the first one on the device listing in my account. So what gives? On both counts: Are .tivo files not supported for transferring back to (god forbid) a TIVO? And what's with the message about the DVR not being linked?

Any suggestions?

tivoscreenshot.png

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    The problem is NOT with your Bolt, or with your account. It is actually has to do with the v21+/Hydra software. They removed that FROM PC/PyTivo/Desktop transfer functions, and can only transfer between Tivo boxes via Tivo Online site.

3. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    If you just convert the .tivo files (encrypted .mpg files) to unencrypted .mpg files, then pytivo can transfer them. Some of them are probably encrypted .mp4 files, which means they should probably end up as .ts files when decrypted.

I did that for a while, but learned that just leaving them on the NAS allows ready playback with Kodi.

Going forward, always decrypt them when transferring from the TiVo.

-KP

4. valgrom

valgrom Who Needs Live TV

Dec 27, 2004
    Miami, Florida
    So actually, I did decrypt them and do have copies of each as .ts files that I can see using VLC player on my computer. I just tried putting them in their own folder and adding that folder as a video share in pyTivo...Saved share, but still nothing showing up on the Bolt.

In fact: I was seeing a devices item in my 'My Shows' (Paused, Sports, Kids, etc. then Devices). I restarted the Bolt after adding the Video share to see if it just needed to re-scan for shared directories on my network and now the 'Devices' item under 'My Shows' is gone...poof! Last thing I have now is 'Kids'.

I do have a Plex pass and use a Raspberry Pi 4 to serve out the content (just one or two streams here, not trying to start a Netflix competitor). At some point trying to transfer these might be more trouble than its worth and I might just dump them on a Plex library...but certainly would be nice to have them back on the Tivo itself...

Thanks for the info thus far.

5. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Under TE4?

6. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    No...

All of this is why I just use Kodi. And Bittorrent...

-KP

7. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    And why I am on TE3. ;)

8. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Pushing (or pulling) files back to my TiVo was interesting for about 60 days.

Just get a RaspberryPI and install Kodi. Costs about $40.

I just built a 4K unit this weekend, to make my 4th.

Download from the TiVo, or whatever source you prefer, and stick them on a NAS, or thumbdrive for that matter, and play at will.

There's even an IR Remote Receiver, originally for Windows Media Center, that can be used to allow for 30 Second Skip and 8 Second Replay.

Of course, there's sources where the Commercials are already gone...

-KP