Transferring Shows on "Advanced RMA" box

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Saberj, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Saberj

Saberj New Member

Sep 29, 2006

Advertisements

My Premiere Elite continued to have audio problems, so I ended up going with an Advanced RMA in order to get the replacement box and not lose any time with recordings. I got the new box in on Wednesday. I disconnected the old box prior to them shipping the new box out, because they let me know that was when my account would be updated to indicate that the new box was now the active box.

So basically, I now have the two boxes, and I have 90 days to get the old one back. What I would like to do is get all of the content off of the old box and onto the new box. However, they said that the only way that would work is if I either A> Activated the old box as well (And pay a one month fee, apparently), or B> Transferred the programs to my computer via the TiVo program, and then transfer it back to the new TiVo box. Since my TV provider (Insight Communications) seems to block almost all of the shows from being transferred like that.

I'd really rather not try and watch all of the shows before I send it back, because that could take forever. However, even though both boxes are listed as "3: Account in Good Standing" in the System Information, they don't seem to see each other when they are both on the network. I've never had two boxes active at the same time, so maybe that needs a setting, but I can't figure out where it would be.

Is there anything I can do? If I activated the second box, would they let me keep it active for a day or two, and then cancel it? Long enough to transfer whatever I can off of it? Any chance of a pro-rated month if I did that? I'd rather that not lock me into a second contract, or cost the whole monthly fee.

2. Gary-B

Gary-B Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Texas
    Go to your account at Tivo.com and under DVR preferances, enable video transfers on both boxes. It might take up to 48 hours for both boxes to see each other.

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    There is no other way to copy recordings except to transfer. If you use Tivo Desktop, you would have to tag/publish each show to transfer.

By default, all Tivo is does not have transfers/downloads enabled and that's why they do not see each other and they need a Media Access Key.

4. zowwie85

zowwie85 New Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    Those shows will not transfer under any circumstances. Doesn't matter if you have both Tivos active or try to use the desktop software.