Transferring shows from a DVR-R10

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by cm9221, Oct 17, 2007.

1. cm9221

cm9221 New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    I am a newbie and apologize for my ignorance as I am sure this question has been asked numerous times.

I am running out of space and want to transfer, burn, etc., shows onto a DVD. Is the only way to do this via a DVD recorder using Tivo's "Save to VCR" option from the Program screen? If so, any suggestions on a decent DVD recorder in order to get four hours of quality video on a disc?

I know there is a USB port on the back of the R-10 but I have been told that it is disabled. Ideally this would be the best option in order to use the computer DVD burner.

Thanks for any help that is offered!

2. Dkerr24

Dkerr24 Lost in Big Bend

Oct 28, 2004
    Okla, USA
    A DVD burner (any kind will work), using the slow 1x speed 'Save to VCR' is your only option. Too bad you don't have a non-R10 unit and could then use the USB ports.

I can transfer a 1 hour show directly to my PC using USB/Ethernet in about 5 minutes.

3. cm9221

cm9221 New Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Thanks Dkerr24. I was afraid that was my only option.

Can I actually use a DVD burner that connects to a computer or do I have to buy a DVD recorder (Panasonic, Sony, LG) that is purchased at Best Buy, Circuit City, etc.?

Looking to the future, what DIRECTV units do you recommend?

Thanks in advance for you advice/help.

4. TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    You need a DVD Recorder, which can be had for as little as around $50 in Walmart now.

As for recommendations, there are no real choices here. To keep the TiVo interface, you will have to buy a used box from somewhere as they are no longer offered by D*. The only DVRs you can get direct are the R15 for SD or the HR20 for HD. Both are non-TiVo interfaces.

5. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    You can do the analog copy via a video capture device, either a card in your PC or an external USB device. Then using DVD authoring software you burn it to a DVD.

6. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    If you want to hack, get any DirecTV TiVo unit that USB, and is not the R10.

For the R10, for now, you need to record the A/V somehow. That could be with a capture card in your PC (where you could burn DVDs with a PC IDE, SATA, or USB DVD burner), or yes, get a standalone DVR recorder of some sort.