Transferring saved programs to DVD recorder HD?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by aktick, Jan 26, 2005.

1. aktick

aktick New Member

Jun 17, 2004
    I have a Pioneer 420H DVD recorder in the mail, my first one, pretty excited. I was just reading the manual, and it mentioned some satellite signals are copy-protected. Any such thing with with DTV/Tivos? I'm assuming not, since my method of transfer will be the same way you transfer a program to VHS? Thanks for any clarification.

2. CsrLiz344

CsrLiz344 New Member

Apr 12, 2004
    Ohio
    Yes, it is the same thing, haven't heard anybody say they couldn't record anything, yet.

3. Jerw134

Jerw134 Member

Aug 8, 2003
    I'm pretty sure that PPVs are sent with Macrovision, so that may cause a problem. Other than that, you'd be fine.

4. PaJo

PaJo New Member

Dec 17, 2001
    highspire,pa...
    There are simple ways to eliminate microvision, such as using the Sima video enhancers , some dvd recorders such as the Lite-On actually have firmware hacks that eliminate it. I don't record a lot of DTV shows on dvd but so far have not found anything that is protected by macrovison. I did not try to record any PPV becasue we usually wait until the movies come on the subscription channels. I found that with Tivo we really don't need to even consider making dvd recordings, usually by time we feel like watching the program again the Tivo suggestions have already found it and recorded it again.

5. dwill104

dwill104 New Member

Dec 13, 2000
    South...
    I haven't had a problem with PPVs not being able to be transfered to the HD of my DVD recorder.

6. radio.joe

radio.joe Custom User Title

Nov 3, 2002
    Arkansas, USA
    I just discovered some (not all) of the DirecTV PPV movies do not allow me to archive them to DVD. The most recent movie was "The Skeleton Key."

I have a DirecTV-Tivo and a component (not in a computer) Sony DVD burner. My DTivo is not networked or hacked. I to, would like to save some of these movies to DVD so I can clear up hard drive space and watch later.

Does anyone know of a good video stabilizer that will allow me to do this? Has anyone tried the Sima GoDVD?

Thanks!

7. texas arsenal

texas arsenal FCDallas.net

Feb 3, 2005
    Frisco TX
    Im recording off an R-10 with a Panasonic ES20 using DVD+R media and havent had any problems burning anything. I did a PPV and it worked just fine. Maybe some have the macro maybe some dont?

8. radio.joe

radio.joe Custom User Title

Nov 3, 2002
    Arkansas, USA
    I think that is the case. I have recorded a few movies both PPV and premium (HBO, etc) and they transferred just fine. The issue arose with "The Skeleton Key." I haven't dubbed that many movies. I'm just wondering if the Sima unit will help me when it does happen.

I asked the guys at TopSalesDepot and they seem to think their $24 DVD Digital Video Stabilizer unit will not help with PPV.

Joe