Transferring recordings - Is Optimum over using the 'block transfer' flag?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Dr_Zoidberg, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Dr_Zoidberg

Dr_Zoidberg Member

Jan 4, 2004

Advertisements

I'm in the midst of a shuffle - installing a new Bolt, shutting down an S3HD, and moving my PremiereXL4 to where the S3HD was. I'm using http://online.tivo.com/start/transfer, and I managed to move the season passes of the XL4 to the Bolt without too much difficulty.

I'm having problems with transferring recordings. Anything I've recorded from Cartoon Network, AMC, BBC America, CNN, Disney XD, and many others are NOT transferrable. Shows on ABC, CBS, NBC, TCM, MeTV and others are. Is this normal, or has Optimum been overly aggressive with setting up the copy-protect flag in their signal that disallows me from transferring these programs?

I'm also seeing problems where the website isn't able to contact my S3HD, even though it can phone home.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  2. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Ota should always be transferable. Did you have an extra "not"in there?

3. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    From what to what are you trying to transfer recordings?

4. Dr_Zoidberg

Dr_Zoidberg Member

Jan 4, 2004
    TiVo Premiere XL4 to my S3 HD, Bolt+ via the URL link
    TiVo Premiere XL4 to any s/w program on my Mac, like Archivo, etc.
    TiVo Premiere XL4 to my S3 HD, Bolt+ via the TiVo link in My Shows. I just tried with the Bolt+, and while I can't transfer the program, I can play the recording on my Bolt+

The copy protect flag is set for most programs, and I see it any time I try to copy from the Premiere XL4, for the same shows through all the methods I listed.

5. Dr_Zoidberg

Dr_Zoidberg Member

Jan 4, 2004

Advertisements

Yes, programs available OTA seem to make up the majority of what I can transfer. and yes, an extra not, which is not there any more not.

6. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Sounds like Optimum set the copy protect flag on everything, including locals which they are definitely not supposed to do. Too late now to do anything about it for existing recordings, but you should call and complain a lot. From what I hear, TWC does the same thing.

As for the website and the S3 - yeah, they pretty much did away with access to anything earlier than an S4 from the website.