Transferring recordings from Bolt to Romeo

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by klyde, Mar 7, 2019.

1. klyde

klyde Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Alabama,...

Advertisements

I have a Bolt and Romeo Tivo. On the Romeo I can watch netflix and movies with xbox over wift. However when I transfer shows from the Bolt using the Romeo I takes 8 hours or more for a 1 hour show. Any Ideas? Can I use a wired connection? Although I would hate to run cat 5 between the router and Romeo in another boom.

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    The wireless of a basic Roamio is quite slow. You can see the rate (with TE3) in Network Settings/Network Troubleshooting/Transfer History. I use a wireless bridge and I usually get 93Mbps. This means about 10 minutes for 1 hour (4.4GB) of content. I have tested two basic Roamio units, both on wireless, and achieved 45Mbps. I don't have a Bolt. I do have a very fast router.

There is a way to find the slow point (with TE3) by getting a third opinion. Install Easier to use pyTivo and you can use your PC's Task Manager to see the network speeds.

3. klyde

klyde Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Alabama,...
    The problem is I only use the Romeo in the bed room. The living room Bolt records what we both watch. So when Im in bed I want sometimes to transfer a program from the Bolt to watch. No way to watch it. It just wont work. My router is in the living room about 20 ft from the Romeo and iI have 100mbs speed. By wireless bridge do you mean a 2nd router.

4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    1a) It sounds like you’d benefit from a Mini in place of the Roamio, from a use perspective.

1b) You’d definitely need a wired connection for the Mini, or a quality wireless bridge connection or wait for the new TiVo Mini Wireless Adapter, assuming your gear could meet its requirements.

2) Re:
    Yes and no. A router could be used, but it would need to be configurable as a wireless adapter or bridge (i.e. strictly as a wireless client on behalf of devices attached to its built-in switch, rather than as an access point or extender; and all router functionality disabled).

There are also wireless bridge products from which to choose.

3) Why no wired connection, Ethernet or coax/MoCA?

5. klyde

klyde Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Alabama,...

Advertisements

Fixed. My router has LR and Short range and 5mhz signal. I also have a repeater in the bedroom that the x box is connected to. Nut the romeo shows the LR signal the strongest and that's what I was connected to. The repeater was the weakest signal. 2 ft away, SO I tried the 5 mhz, didn't work, then the short range one which is 3 bars and now its fast enough to watch while transferring.

i also want to record shows only I watch.
    I dont want to drill holes in the floor to run the cable under the house.