Transferring recorded programs from HD TiVo

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by emuman100, Nov 5, 2017.

1. emuman100

emuman100 Member

Jul 3, 2003
    Because Tivo decided that they need to be an even better company and choose not to activate TivoHD's, I want to pull my saved recorded programs off of my TivoHD. pyTivo does not have that functionality. kmttg needs Java 8, but I can't run that on my Mac. cTivo does not support 10.6.8. Are there any other options?

Also, since my Tivo is deactivated, there is no MAK, and since they won't activate it, what do I do? I've wasted two hours trying various things that did not work.

Thanks.

2. emuman100

emuman100 Member

Jul 3, 2003
    I just tried using the MAK from when the tivo was activated, and it did not work in kmttg on a windows machine. So, does this mean that because it cannot be activated, I can never transfer my recorded programs from this unit the "Tivo Community Forum" way?

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    There is no program available that will transfer from a non-activated Tivo. This is a part of the Tivo service.

About the only thing to do is by using a DVD recorder on the output of the Tivo. It is time-consuming and is the only way.

Normally, you would be able to use any programs, such as Pytivo, KMTTG, Tivo Desktop, on a Tivo service subscribed Tivo.

4. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Unfortunately, you would have needed to offload those before service was discontinued. Did you take advantage of one of the upgrades (and any reason you didn't migrate the shows to the new TiVo or a PC then)?

I think your only option now would be to use some type of capture device on the output.

Scott

5. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Bittorrent?

-KP

6. emuman100

emuman100 Member

Jul 3, 2003
    Thanks guys. I was not aware that this only works with an active subscription. I'll have to explore other avenues and use "Non-Tivo Community" methods.

There was a very good reason why I did not migrate to a new Tivo. "Non-Tivo Community" hacks were only available for Series 3 units. These hacks make owning a Tivo worth while. Perhaps you and many others may disagree with me, but I rather enjoyed hacking Tivo boxes. It was fun, and I learned quite a bit. I think the better option would be kernel replacement, decryption, extraction, and conversion to .ts, but that is much more involved than this way. All of the recorded programs did not have the CCI byte set. I know that because I was providing the QAM channels from my own SMATV system.

7. rmcleran

rmcleran New Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Running current version kmttg on Win10 connected to Roamio Plus. Highlighted a number of files to download/convert from TIVO and clicked [Start Jobs] then realized I needed to add a couple of other files to the queue. After highlighting the new files (I want to keep the original files downloading/converting), do I again click [Start Jobs] or is there something else I should do to add the new files to the queue?

8. rmcleran

rmcleran New Member

Mar 13, 2008
    I took a chance and clicked [Start Jobs]. That added the new files to the queue and everything continued.

Mikeguy likes this.