Transferring Programs to PC

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by chelydra, Jan 4, 2012.

1. chelydra

chelydra New Member

Jan 4, 2012
    I am in an area where the cable company does not support TiVo, and need to access the programs I saved on my TiVo dvr's. I have TiVo Desktop Pro installed on my computer, but am not sure if I can use it with an inactive dvr. Is there a way to connect the dvr directly to my computer?

2. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    Let me stop you right there. TTBOMK, there is no such place. If you're talking about a Series 1 or 2, you don't even need to interact with the cable company in order to hook it up. If it's a Series 3 or 4, you probably want to get a CableCard from them. They're legally required to provide it to you. If they decline, report them to the FCC.

One exception is a service like U-verse, which doesn't use standard cable TV tech (but it will still work with a Series 2 TiVo). But they're never the exclusive provider in an area, AFAIK. And then there are those cable systems that are exclusive to, say, an apartment building... I'm not sure what the rules are there. But for a normal cable company, they have to give you a CableCard. (This only applies to digital cable; you wouldn't need it for analog cable.)

I guess it depends what you mean by "inactive". You can't do any network-related things with an unsubscribed TiVo, no. But it doesn't care whether it's hooked up to cable TV or anything. It just needs an active subscription from TiVo Inc.

Again, that depends what you mean. Network-wise, that wouldn't help. You can feed video and audio output into a capture card in your computer, and record that way, yes. Or you can disconnect the hard drive from the TiVo, connect it to the computer, and perhaps transfer programs that way... but that's outside the scope of topics allowed in this forum.

3. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    Tivo desktop will allow you to transfer the shows to the PC if you are networked. As for the cable company saying they dont support Tivo call Tivo and have them contact the cable company.

4. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    Only if the TiVo is subscribed.

5. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Also, I believe there are VERY VERY small cable companies that are exempt. I could be wrong, however.

6. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Start by telling us the model number(s) of your TiVo(s).

(on the back, where the power cord plugs in, starts with TCD)

Also tell us about your cable company.

And about your home network.

7. chelydra

chelydra New Member

Jan 4, 2012
    The model numbers of my TiVo dvrs are:
    TCD540040 (40 hour, single recording unit);
    TCD649080 (80 hour, double recording unit);
    Cable Company is a small local company, Waitsfield Cable;
    Home network is a Windows 7 network utilizing Waitsfield Telecom router.
    Cable company and TiVo support said I could only record one pgm at a time and could not watch live tv at the same time with a TiVo dvr; the cable company dvr does not have those restrictions.

8. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    Sounds like they want you to rent their dvr. You can get around the record one and watch live by getting a second cable box from the cable company. That way one box feeds the Tivo and the other box can connect to the TV thru a switch. The box would probably be cheaper than renting their DVR.

9. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Your cable company switched over from analog and digital to all-digital a while back.

Both of your TiVos are analog.

(they're also both Series 2 TiVos, the last of the non-digital ones)

That means the only way you can get their channel into your TiVo is to use one of their cable boxes to tune the channel and de-modulate it into baseband video and audio and feed it from the line level outputs of the cable box (Yellow video, white left channel audio, red right channel audio) into the corresponding line level inputs of the TiVo.

Since the dual tuner TiVo has only one set of line inputs, just like the single tuner TiVo, you can only connect one cable box to it, which means only recording one show at a time.

As long as you have an active subscription on your TiVos, you can watch what's already recorded on it, and you can use TiVo Desktop to copy those shows to your computer.

You just can't use either of those TiVos to tune any of the channels on the cable with the cable just plugged into the back of them.

If those TiVos are no longer subscribed, you can subscribe one of them for $12.95 per month, copy all of the shows on it to your computer, then discontinue that subscription and subscribe the other unit the next month (they've discontinued their former requirement for a one-year commitment) and copy everything on it.

Or you could subscribe one of them at $12.95, which should qualify you for the Multi-Set Discount, which will let you subscribe the other one for $9.95 per month.

So you could try to get everything copied in one month and save $3.