Transferring PC saved video back to TiVo

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Frankhar, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Frankhar

Frankhar New Member

Mar 9, 2006

Advertisements

On networked Roamio Plus, video pulled from storage on PC via Desktop Plus plays for about 8 minutes then freezes, cannot be re-started. When I later try to transfer the same video I get an error message telling me it can't be done; apparently the fail leaves a setting that fights future attempts.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

2. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE
    guessing your on hydra?

have you tried plex server?

3. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Unless they fixed it, that's not possible. There's no way to even start a PC->TiVo transfer on a Hydrated TiVo.

Are these .tivo files? What kind of connection?

You might consider installing pyTivo.

4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Try rebooting the Tivo?

5. Frankhar

Frankhar New Member

Mar 9, 2006

Advertisements

Yes. And rebooting my computer. And re-installing and then repairing Desktop Plus. And calling TiVo support multiple times. I'm really aggravated that I can't find a way to enjoy any of the movies I've archived onto my PC over the years. I can't cope with installing pyTivo - the instructions and add-on requirements I've found are a bit much for my 79 year old brain. Has anybody packaged pyTivo into a form that can be down-loaded and easily installed? I'd rather have Desktop Plus just act the way it was supposed to but I'll gratefully accept any other solution.

6. Frankhar

Frankhar New Member

Mar 9, 2006
    And no, I'm not using Hydra.

7. Frankhar

Frankhar New Member

Mar 9, 2006
    Almost all of my video files are TiVo files. My network uses wired Ethernet to a Netgear 9600 AC router via an AC powerline link (which works very well in all practical applications I can evaluate).

8. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead TCF Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Yes, pyTivo Desktop for Windows and Mac.

I don't understand why TiVo Desktop isn't working for you. Works fine for me with my TiVos, but I usually use pyTivo to transfer PC (Windows and Linux) -> TiVo (Roamio and Bolt, previously a TiVoHD too). Do your videos play properly on your PC?

9. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    There is an easier to install and use pyTivo - pyTivo Desktop

Edit: posts crossing in the night.

10. ClearToLand

ClearToLand Old !*#$% Tinkerer!

Jul 9, 2001
    Central Jersey
    It appears to be a well-kept secret in TiVoLand that TiVo-to-PC TS 'Fast' Format file transfers may have TS Sync Errors that aren't discovered until you attempt the PC-to-TiVo transfer back to view them and it fails. After not being able to view, via pyTiVo (@wmcbrine), GT 66% of the shows that I had d/l'd TiVo-to-PC via my newly-installed kmttg app via TS 'Fast' Format file transfer, I did a lot of research. I even played around a bit with TiVo Desktop.

Bottom line: *ALL* of the TiVo-to-PC / PC-to-TiVo transfer methods have to use the same built-in routines on your TiVo unit to communicate so regardless of what folks tell you to try, the results will be the same.
    1. In TiVo Desktop, did you have:
      File -> Preferences -> Files -> File Transfer Speed -> "Use the fastest method..." checked?
    2. If yes:
      - How many shows did you transfer?
      - How many shows have you attempted to view / transfer back PC-to-TiVo?
      - How many have failed?
    3. How much effort and $$$ are you willing to invest in order to view these recordings?
      - $0.00: Install kmttg and see if 'QS Fix' will correct the TS Sync Errors; IIRC, results vary.
      - $100: Purchase VideoReDo TV Suite v5; pretty much guaranteed to work.
    I've been in your shoes so I understand how you feel. I *ONLY* use PS 'Slow' Format file transfer now in kmttg (@moyekj) unless the source material is h.264 and not mpeg2. Then I use (my personalized v1.12 of) pyTiVo Desktop (@Dan203) with a VERY HIGH retry setting (along with having my TiVo unit idle / not recording) until I get an error-free transfer (takes HOURS!!!).

I've included / QUOTEd two of my previous posts to get you started in your own research. Please follow the instructions in the second QUOTE on what parameters to use to SEARCH TCF. :cool:

Best of Luck! :)

11. Frankhar

Frankhar New Member

Mar 9, 2006
    Yes, they do.

12. ClearToLand

Jul 9, 2001
    Central Jersey
    If he was on Gen4/Hydra, he wouldn't have been able to transfer even 8 minutes worth of his recording.
    Does the Plex Server have a plug-in to allow it to read ENCRYPTED .tivo files? :eek:

Let's help the OP understand the problem and not add any unnecessary confusion to the mix. ;)

13. ClearToLand

Jul 9, 2001
    Central Jersey
    Wouldn't help - the .tivo files are probably 'damaged' (i.e. they contain TS Sync Errors). Once the errors are corrected (by VideoReDo for example), TiVo Desktop 'should' be able to transfer them back.

That would only allow the OP to 'try again' - and after 8 minutes, get the same error (on that particular file). :( Been there - done that...
    Maybe the 'old, US-based' TiVo support 'might' have been aware of this problem (doubt it though) but certainly the 'new, Philippines-based' TiVo support *ONLY* knows what's typed on their pre-prepared scripts. :confused:
    I can better assist you after you answer all of the questions in my first post (#10). Before that, I'd just be guessing... :)

14. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    I'm afraid that while VideoReDo may "fix" all of the sync errors, you may also lose a significant portion of the recording.

15. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    I've seen this recently as well on my Roamio Pro with the gen3 HD UI. If I cancel as transfer using either pyTivo or TiVo Desktop, then it doesn't want to transfer again. I have not gone back to see if anything fixes that though (rebooting TiVo, server, etc).

Scott