Transferring Lifetime Subscription

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by CindiA, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Dec 6, 2011 #1 of 12
    CindiA

CindiA New Member

Nov 26, 2005
    I am selling my Tivo. How do I transfer the lifetime subscription to the new owner? Since the subscription is on the BOX, not me personally, I would think that I can go into the My Account page and simply change all the contact information etc. to the new owner's information. If anyone can confirm, though, I'd appreciate it.

2. Dec 6, 2011 #2 of 12
    dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    It's actually the new owner that needs to do the transfer and add it to their account, not you removing it from yours. I know it sounds convoluted but that's the way they've done it.

3. Dec 6, 2011 #3 of 12
    lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    In my experience, the transfer requires both parties and must be done over the phone. As the seller, you call Tivo and tell them you are selling the box and they will take some info, then give you a case number. Send that number to the buyer and it makes life much easier for them when they call Tivo.

4. Dec 6, 2011 #4 of 12
    lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    What's convoluted about it? I certainly don't want some unscrupulous individual to be able to stick me with a $20 a month bill and a 2 year commitment while he watches his TiVo free of cost.

5. Dec 6, 2011 #5 of 12
    lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Unless it is a close relative, what fool would give someone else access and control to sensitive financial information like that?

6. Dec 7, 2011 #6 of 12
    replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    The new owner needs to first set up the Tivo for their zip code and lineup, then call Tivo and say that they want to add the Tivo to their account. The old owner doesn't need to be involved.

Actually, it doesn't even have to be added to the new owners account if it was never registered in the first place. (like with a basic Tivo sub on Toshiba or Pioneer DVD/DVR) And no call needs to be done except if the the new owner wants to put it on their account so they can network their tivos together, or use the other features such as transferring shows and controlling the Tivo on the internet.
    If it is a Series 1 with lifetime that can be transferred to another Tivo, then the new owner needs to make sure that it is transferred to them before payment/receiving so that the old owner doesn't transfer the lifetime and make the box lifetimeless.

7. Dec 7, 2011 #7 of 12
    NowPlaying

NowPlaying Member

Mar 7, 2002
    Menlo Park,...
    I recently transferred a box to my account. I called Tivo, read them the boxes number, done. A few hours later the Tivo appeared in my online account.

8. Dec 7, 2011 #8 of 12
    dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Lifetime box.. no reoccurring costs.
    I was suggesting convoluted only because so many people start this process by thinking as the sellers responsibility to initiate the transfer, I've been in the Tivo world long enough to know it's the receiver that initiates the transfer.

9. Dec 7, 2011 #9 of 12
    lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    It can be either one but, as the seller, it makes life easier for the buyer if you initiate the change. It would be in everyones best interest if Tivo required the seller to initiate the transfer. Some sellers are reluctant to give the TSN to a potential buyer to check the service level because they are concerned that someone unscrupulous may try to transfer the box to their account, without buying it, in order to get an MSD discount. It would just relieve potential headaches and paranoia if the seller had to initiate the transfer.

10. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    In my experience, the transfer requires nothing more than the buyer to contact tivo and claim ownership. They may ask for info about the previous owner, but it's not actually necessary.

11. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    As long as the new owner set up the TiVo with his/her ZIP code and that ZIP code is different than the sellers, TiVo will xfer the TiVo to the new owner. The new owner should ask the TiVo CSR to check that the TiVo called in on the new ZIP code.

12. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    and again