1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transferring from Roameo to new Bolt - problems, and how?

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by pbug56, Jan 26, 2018.

1. pbug56

pbug56 Member

Jan 27, 2008
    You'd think after 10 years of using tivos that to transfer a single program from my existing roameo to my new Bolt I'd hit devices, select the roameo, find the program, and select it and hit something like COPY or TRANSFER. Yes, I can hit PLAY and then just watch it via the BOLT. But the closest thing I get to COPY or TRANSFER is KEEP - which doesn't do anything. It doesn't even give me an error message if I want to copy a movie (which is blocked) - so clearly KEEP does not do a transfer. So where is the 'button' to do it?

Ok, so I gave in and went online to manage, transfer. Only catch is, at least the first night, it only transferred the first 10 minutes of each program. Really not helpful.

I'm already annoyed enough at BOLT because of the horrible, wasteful, stupid shape. But it would be a bit less annoying if all basic functions actually worked! I can forget the awful GUI that if I'd ever done one that bad as a computer programmer I'd have been fired. But it needs to work!

2. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    I assume you have Hydra. It’s a known issue. If you went back to the old UI it would work fine.

3. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Or you can use the website to transfer.

4. pbug56

pbug56 Member

Jan 27, 2008
    BOLT is brand new replacing a 10 year old TIVO HD that just died. And when I use the web site to transfer a recording, it only transfers the first 10 minutes. And no way to do so from the BOLT directly from its remote. I MIGHT be able to PLAY the video on the bolt directly from the roameo. SO what is Hydra?

5. pbug56

pbug56 Member

Jan 27, 2008
    and I don't know any way to go to the old gui, which I assume actually worked?

6. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Hydra is the new GUI.

See the first post in this thread.

I've never used the web site to transfer but it sounds as if you might have a network problem.

7. pbug56

pbug56 Member

Jan 27, 2008
    My gigabit and AC based network works pretty well - the roameo is gigabit, the bolt on ac 5ghz 10 feet from the router; when I STREAM a show from the roameo to the bolt it goes very fast. But when I bulk transfer I never get complete programs, in most cases as little as 10 minutes. Of course TIVO tends not to tell you if you have a problem. So I find out about the problem when I start watching something. It is odd that PLAY works perfectly. But what exactly is KEEP?

8. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    As I said, I don't use Hydra but if I had to guess, KEEP probably lets you change the "Keep Until" on the source TiVo. You can do that with the old GUI.

Have you checked "History" on the Bolt to see if it gives you a reason for the transfer failure?

Different methods for streaming(watching) vs. transfer. Streaming obviously only has to go at real time. Why not use MoCA to connect the two TiVos?

9. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    On Hydra, it's called Recording Activity. I think the "Keep" is normal when you select a program without transfer ability. I could check my Hydra box, but cartoons are on. :)

On my Roamio Hydra host and its Mini VOX, Recording Activity doesn't work.

10. pbug56

pbug56 Member

Jan 27, 2008
    History shows nothing. Both TIVO's have excellent network connectivity. Summary of where I stand; 1. Only way to 'transfer' a program one at a time is to view it - super fast with no hint that it is streaming, and you can fast forward with no issues. 2. When you select a program on the other TIVO, only choices are KEEP (which is useless) and watch. How in h-ll did they leave out the copy / transfer? And why have they not fixed it? 3. Bulk transfers only get me partial copies of the various programs either most or all of the time.

11. kpeters59

kpeters59 Active Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Since your TiVo and router are so close together, why not give wired Ethernet a shot?

-KP

12. pbug56

pbug56 Member

Jan 27, 2008
    One floor down, no easy way to run the cables.

BTW TIVO acknowledges that the current software has at least one, really 2 serious bugs related to transfers. What they clearly own up to is lack of a 'transfer' or copy button. They also seem to be aware of the bulk transfer problem. BTW, I checked several bulk transferred programs; everyone cuts off at exactly 10 minutes even though it looks like it fully transferred. TIVO asked me If I wanted to downgrade to the previous not so buggy software; only catch is I'd lose every single recording PLUS all my season passes that I was able to copy en masse from my TIVO HD before it fully died. About 40 items. And if its more then a week or two until the next instance, it won't get the season pass right - it looks to alternate channels where its syndicated.

It's crazy that a firmware upgrade preserves recordings but not a downgrade. Even crazier that when I setup the TIVO it forced me to take this bugware with no warning of alternatives.

13. kpeters59

kpeters59 Active Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Doesn't KMTTG still work with Gen 4?
    I'd just transfer the shows to a PC, backup my One-Pass' and downgrade...

-KP

14. pbug56

pbug56 Member

Jan 27, 2008
    YEars ago I used TIVO desktop, no idea if I still have it, and I don't know anything about this or other tools for TIVO. There wouldn't be many programs to download, the season passes are the things I'd most want to be able to restore. BTw, how do you downgrade the TIVO software?

15. kpeters59

kpeters59 Active Member

Jun 19, 2007
    KMTTG

Make sure you read every post 1st (JK).

-KP

16. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    What about MoCA?

You'll also need something to transfer the recordings back from the computer. Either the original pyTivo or pyTivo Desktop. Another option is to transfer them to the Roamio.

I posted a link to the instructions earlier:

17. pbug56

pbug56 Member

Jan 27, 2008
    OK, so I discovered that the TIVO script readers from India were lying to me. Hydra does not include any way to transfer recordings from the GUI. TIVO left it out. Period. No one seems to know why. One script reader supervisor told me that if both TIVOS had Hydra you could do transfer. Nope, that was a lie. You can only do transfers from the web site; which wouldn't be so bad if I consistently got the whole recording transferred. I doubt it's a network issue because I can stream very easily and quickly, no hesitation. Mind you on a very fast AC network. Oh, another script reader told me she'd notified engineering about the partial transfer problem. Days later, another script reader boss checked - no one had ever been notified. Another lie. And TIVO doesn't answer my questions on Facebook.

18. clay.autery

clay.autery Member

Feb 2, 2018
    Northwest...
    I'm transferring back and forth between 2 Bolts via the website minder page rather successfully.... At 440 Mbps average speed wired Ethernet. It took some doing to get it all going, but it seems to be humming right along now. And I can still download from both Classic and Hydra UI to my PC using kttmg. No upload to Hydra, haven't tried to upload back to Classic UI via pyTiVO.

The recent versions of pyTiVO have actually ripped all the TiVO upload code out of them with notes about Hydra breaking it all...

19. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Just because streaming works fine doesn't mean you don't have network problems. For one thing, streaming is obviously real time while transfer is much faster.

As to why they left transfer out, TiVo_Ted has stated that the PC->TiVo transfer ability has been "obsoleted", so that 'explains' at least part of it.

20. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Website transferring has been working for me. All of the recordings get transferred in their entirety.