Transferring from RCN

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by brucedl, Aug 18, 2013.

1. brucedl

brucedl Member

Jun 19, 2001
    Chicago,...

Advertisements

I'm currently using an RCN Tivo Premiere, dual tuner. I also have the WD Tivo Extender connected.

I may be moving soon, and will lose RCN. Question is this: is it possible to transfer shows off the RCN Tivo to a newly purchased Tivo Premiere?

2. CrispyCritter

CrispyCritter Purple Ribbon Wearer

Feb 28, 2001
    North...
    Interesting question, and I don't know the answer for sure. According to RCN you can, but will need to contact TiVo customer support. http://www.rcn.com/tivo/faqs/
    But I'm not sure what RCN calls multi-room viewing is really transfers (they might be referring to just multi-room streaming).

Another approach would be to move everything to a PC (via either TiVo Desktop or kmttg) and then back to the new TiVo.

3. brucedl

brucedl Member

Jun 19, 2001
    Chicago,...
    The transfer to the PC/Mac option is probably the way to go, except I'm going to have to buy another external drive first.

4. NYHeel

NYHeel Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2003
    Just keep in mind to decrypt the .Tivo file in kmttg before attempting to send the files back to your new Tivo. I believe that the .Tivo file is only payable on the original Tivo it came off. It's really easy to decrypt in kmttg (just check the box) but better not to forget to do it.

5. CrispyCritter

CrispyCritter Purple Ribbon Wearer

Feb 28, 2001
    North...

Advertisements

Playback may be an issue. Once it's on a PC, you'll have all sorts of possibilities for removing the TiVo "DRM"; the question is whether you'll have to do it at all. The .tivo file is playable by any TiVo on your account without removal of DRM.

The TiVo DRM is keyed by your MAK, unique to each account. I've assumed that the call to TiVo Customer Support that RCN mentions will give you the same MAK on both your TiVos. But it's not clear to me whether that MAK will belong to you, or to RCN. What happens when you leave RCN? If it's RCN's MAK, you may find all your shows are unviewable, because they may change the MAK on your retail TiVo to something else. I really don't believe they would do that, but I've given up making assumptions about cable company idiocy.

6. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If the TiVo will let you copy the show to a PC via TiVo Desktop, i.e., the cable company didn't set the anti-copy bit on the show or channel, then you can copy it back from PC to any other (non-Series 1) TiVo on your TiVo account, i.e., that uses the same Media Access Key, unless it's an HD recording and you're trying to copy it to a Series 2.

Of course, I don't know if getting the TiVo through your cable company lets you have a "TiVo Account" with a MAK like people who own their TiVos.