Transferring from one TiVo to another

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Elliot2, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Elliot2

Elliot2 New Member

Dec 15, 2016

Advertisements

Why can't one transfer from one TiVo to another using Wi-Fi?. It only works when I connect one TiVo to the router or to an extender

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Can't help you without further information. What models exactly? Listed in Settings.... System Information, the first 3 numbers of Tivo Service Number, also needed is the software version.
    Do they have the Media Access Key the same as what is in your tivo.com account?

3. Elliot2

Elliot2 New Member

Dec 15, 2016

4. Elliot2

Elliot2 New Member

Dec 15, 2016
    They claim that the signal strength has shown in the diagnostics has to be over 80. Evidently that is nonsense. I was trying to transfer from one Romeo OTA to another with the latest software on both. It always fails. I used to be able to do it with a series 3 and a Romeo. Connecting one Romeo to an extender with a network connection works like a charm. Their second level people are pretty hopeless

5. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area

Advertisements

You still have not answered my last post.

6. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    It seems to me that you have pretty lousy WiFi.

The Signal Strength you're referencing has only to do with the Signal Level to the TiVo's built-in Tuners.

-KP

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  7. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    That still doesn't answer the question of what model and software version. v21 would make it harder to transfer.

8. Elliot2

Elliot2 New Member

Dec 15, 2016
    both roamios 21.10.1.v11 which should be the latest
    846001190c57f97 is one but I can't see that his is relevant. I doubt that anyone can transfer over wifi. I think that they ****** up when they created the new version a few years ago, They removed the ability to transfer on the tivo because it was unreliable. Like the IBM days, it's not a bug; it's feature. The second level people think that signal strength refers to wifi strength but it evidently is not. They are clueless. I downloaded an app to measure wifi strength and mine is strong. I even added an extender. As I said I solved the problem by plugging one TIVO into the extender and transferred 200 programs in 15 hours. I had to removed many duplicates from the todo list - another feature. I wish there were a way to talk to someone smart and knowledgeable at their tech support

9. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    This is the main point as to why you cannot transfer. You must use online.tivo.com to start the transfers.

10. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I believe they understood that. The issue appears to be that the transfers simply fail when both boxes are networked via the Roamio OTA's (notorious) built-in Wi-Fi.

11. Elliot2

Elliot2 New Member

Dec 15, 2016

12. Elliot2

Elliot2 New Member

Dec 15, 2016
    That's exactly how I transferred some 200 files. Now I have only one connected and I can view files on the other TiVo at high speed. The issue is that I could not transfer from one to another via Wi-Fi. The claim from TiVo was that this was because the signal strength was only 70%. That's false because signal strength has nothing to do with transferring files

13. Elliot2

Elliot2 New Member

Dec 15, 2016
    I'm sorry I misunderstood. I didn't understand that it was notorious

14. Elliot2

Elliot2 New Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Of course because these clowns removed the capability to transfer on the TiVo. In the earlier TiVo version I regularly transferred from a Romio to a series 3. Also a friend has a series 3 that is connected to her next door neighbors Wi-Fi. The Romio will not connect to it

15. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I avoided v21 (TE4) and stayed on v20 (TE3) and can still transfer, even on wifi.

16. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    It's still there, just not on the TE4 (21.*) version of the software; you'd have to roll back to TE3 (20.*), at the cost of a factory reset of the DVR (i.e. the loss of all recordings and settings).

17. Elliot2

Elliot2 New Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Great. How are you so smart? I didn't even know I got upgraded. Why can't these ******** check their code

18. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Upgrade from TE3 to TE4 is only automatic on newly installed boxes, not existing customer units. The upgrade requires confirmation, though it can sneak up on you, especially through the Apps section.

The absence of transfer controls on TE4 isn't a bug, it was a design choice. (Not agreeing w/ the choice, just noting that it wasn't a matter of the TE4 code not being properly inspected.)

19. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    I've never had consistent success transferring programs or streaming between a XL4 & Roamio over wifi.

krkaufman likes this.
  20. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    So your Roamio's can't be wired, then? (No coax outlets connecting to a shared coax plant, even?)