Transferring files via ethernet connection

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by j666laz, Feb 3, 2012.

1. j666laz

j666laz New Member

Feb 3, 2012
    I am currently transferring my files to my computer via my wireless network. I have a Tivo XL and a MacBookPro. Is there anyway to hook up an ethernet cable to the Tivo and computer and transfer the files quicker?

2. SNJpage1

SNJpage1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 25, 2006
    Atlantic...
    Are there wired ports on your router?

3. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    It may be going at its best possible speed, there is also transcoding going on the fly as it transfers. On wireless G, I can get 5-8mbs and if you change to ethernet cable, you may need to do guided setup for the change, and it should be faster somewhat.

4. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If you haven't already, give everything on your network that doesn't travel outside the home a fixed IP address.

Can't hurt, might help.

Set the DHCP range on your router to a range of numbers outside of the ones you assign as fixed.

For example, if your router defaults to 192.168.1.1, then the overall range of the network is 192.168.1.0 through 192.168.1.255.

The .0 is the entire network (so that number doesn't get assigned to any one machine).

The .255 is the broadcast address for the network (for when something gets sent to everything on the network), so it isn't assigned to any one machine either.

You could assign your computers numbers starting at 192.168.1.100 and your TiVos numbers starting at 192.168.1.200 and set a DHCP range of 5 numbers starting at 192.168.1.250

Your XL has an Ethernet jack, so you could run some Cat5 with RJ-45 plugs on each end between it and the router.

I assume that would still leave your laptop connecting to the router wirelessly.

Does it have an Ethernet jack?

5. lillevig

lillevig Cold in East Iowa

Dec 6, 2010
    Marion, Iowa
    Haven't tried a direct computer to Tivo connection. I suspect that it might require a crossover ethernet cable. Maybe I'll try it if I find some spare time. Most of the time you would go from the Tivo to your ethernet router. That may or may not speed things up. As a previous poster said, the Tivo itself tends to slow down the effective transfer rate so wireless G is usually fast enough.

6. matt@thehickmans

matt@thehickmans Hemo_jr

Jan 8, 2008
    Yea, You need at least one open Ethernet port on your router. If you have two open ports, use cat 5/6 patch cables to connect each device to the router. If you only have one open port on your router, get an Ethernet switch, connect that to the router and connect the devices to the switch (using cat5/6 patch cables).