Transferring files using Tivo Desktop the video has major artifacts.

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Bgraham34, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Bgraham34

Bgraham34 New Member

Aug 15, 2010
    Longtime lurked here. I was transferring video to my vista desktop. I have the newest tivo desktop software installing. When i play a file that I recorded this past week the video has tons of artifacts in it and plays the image slow. I played an older file that i transferred over months back and that's fine. I am playing the file from TiVo desktop software. I just upgraded to 14.5 as well.

Thanks

2. qux

qux New Member

Aug 21, 2010
    I'm having this exact same problem. Windows 7, latest Desktop, old eps play fine, new eps look horrible. The shows also transfer much quicker than using my old Series 2 so that probably has something to do with it. Any help given is appreciated.

3. simon7

simon7 New Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Same problem here. Video plays fine on the Premiere, but has major pixelation on computer after transferring via TivoDesktop.

4. simon7

simon7 New Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Did some more research. I tried transferring a file from my TivoHD to my Premiere. Then transferred that same file directly from TivoHD to the computer AND from the Premiere to the computer. ONLY the file that came via the Premiere had pixelation. And, I can't see any pixelation when I view the file on TV via the Premiere. SO it seems very likely the heavy pixelation is somehow being introduced in the transfer process from the Premiere specifically.

5. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Perhaps the 14.5 software update enabled the TS file format as default? If this is the case then Windows Media Player has to use a different demuxer to get at the video, so it could be that whatever demuxer it's using for these TS files is corrupting the video some how.

Do any of you guys know how to use GraphEdit? If so try rendering both a new file and an old one and see if any of the filters are different.

Or if any of you are VideoReDo users you can try opening one of the new files in in then checking the Tools->Show Video program Info screen. It will simply say TiVo as the type if it's using the old Program Stream format, but will say TiVo-TS if it's using the new TS format.

Dan

6. qux

qux New Member

Aug 21, 2010
    I tried the VideoReDo thing and it won't even open the Premiere files, it said the program stream was not found, but it opened the old Series 2 files with no problem. There's definitely a difference between Premiere and Series 2 files, Any idea on how we get around this?

7. jtso

jtso Member

Oct 2, 2009
    Radford, VA
    Have you tried the reverse route: transfer a file from the Premiere to the TivoHD and then to the computer?

8. gregbennett

gregbennett New Member

Nov 1, 2002
    Sterling...
    Just tried transferrring to my S3 then to PC and the file played fine and it opened in VideoReDo.

When I tried the Premier file in VideoReDo it took forever to open. First couple of times I tried I thought the program had died as it said it was not responding. After letting it sit for awhile it eventually loaded but said there was no audio stream. Trying to view the video info as Dan suggested hung the program again and I gave up.

9. jtso

jtso Member

Oct 2, 2009
    Radford, VA
    I just thought of another thing to try. If instead of using TiVoDesktop for file transfer, you can transfer via the web browser. For the Premiere, you can download either in the TS format or the PS format. Does the TS file produce the video artifacts while the PS file does not?

10. gregbennett

gregbennett New Member

Nov 1, 2002
    Sterling...
    Yes, from the web browser the TS version has the artifacts like the TiVo Desktop download and the PS file plays fine.

11. jtso

jtso Member

Oct 2, 2009
    Radford, VA
    Greg,

Thanks, this has been very interesting. I don't know enough to suggest ways of getting TS files to play on a computer, but I now know what not to do if I transfer a file from a Premiere!

Jon

12. innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
  13. simon7

simon7 New Member

Mar 26, 2008
    My pixelated files open right up in VideoRedo. They show as file type Tivo TS.

14. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I forgot to mention you must be running the latest beta for it to read the TS files.

You can get the beta version from our forum. There are beta versions of Plus, TVSuite and TVSuite v4 w/H.264 that support this new format.

Dan

15. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Are they pixelated in VRD?

Dan

16. simon7

simon7 New Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Yes, for me the Tivo-TS files open fine in VideoRedo but show the pixelation. (I'm not sure which version of VRD. I downloaded H264 months back and just update when it tells me to... so is there a new beta that doesn't show up in updates?)

(And, to be clear, some frames will be perfectly clear, then a cluster will be extremely pixelated, like blocks were randomly mixed up on them.)

Thanks Dan.

17. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    OK just to be clear...

PS = Program Stream, which is the format used by the old TiVo files. These show up in VideoReDo as a simply "TiVo".

TS = Transport Stream, which is the format used for new TiVo files. (up until now they've only been used in Aus/NZ) These show up in VideoReDo as "TiVo-TS".

OK So assuming you meant TiVo-TS then the problem appears to be in the muxing or decrypting. You can test if it's a muxer problem by simply running the file through Quick Stream Fix and saving it to a standard .mpg file. If it still has the pixelation then the problem is most likely in the decryption. Unfortunately there isn't much you can do about that. There was a patch posted to the tivodecode project a while back that works with TiVo-TS files, but it had a similar pixelation problem with certain files so it's probably not much better. The only thing you can do to insure you get the old style PS files is to either use a different program to download the files, like pyTiVo, or use the web interface to specifically download the PS version of the show. (the web interface offerse both options)

Dan

18. simon7

simon7 New Member

Mar 26, 2008
    (Typo on file type in previous post corrected.)

You were right. Logging in via browser and downloading the PS solved the problem.

Doing a Quick Stream Fix on the problematic TS does NOT fix the problem.

19. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    So this is either some sort of corruption happening on the TiVo side or some sort of corruption being introduced by the decryption code in the TiVo DirectShow filter. Hopefully TiVo is aware of the problem and will get it sorted out quickly. Or at the very least release a patch for TiVo desktop to force it back to downloading the old style PS files until they get it sorted out.

Dan

20. mrantoinemil

mrantoinemil New Member

Sep 24, 2010
    Well, it's now September 24. Tivo has yet to create a fix for the transfers from the tivo, so, all my media that I want to have transferred to my iPhone is now pixelated every few seconds. Great!! Come on Tivo! I'm losing faith with you guys more than ever. I want a fix, there's no point to pay for a product if you can't even have it work in the first place.