Transferring Audio From TIVO Premier

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by f1rstclass, Oct 6, 2011.

1. f1rstclass

f1rstclass New Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Hey everyone,

Just became a member today. Been trying to find answer to this question and figured this would be the best place to go to get it answered.

My question involves the ability to transfer audio, specifically, music from TIVO to computer. Has anyone done this? If so, how do you go about doing it? Is it good quality audio if you were able to do it successfully?

I would like to get some audio from some of the music only channels to use when working out, etc.

Thanks so much for any/all help you can provide.

2. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Easiest way would be to hook up audio RCA cables from back of the TiVo to the input of your audio on your computer. You may need an adapter from Radio Shack (I.e a Y-cable)

3. f1rstclass

f1rstclass New Member

Oct 6, 2011
    How would you then get the audio onto the hard drive of computer?? Would I need some sort of 'recording' software?

4. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    Yes. most PCs have something preinstalled. I haven't done anything like this for years, so can't offer any recommendations for programs.

5. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    You could also record those channels manually, transfer the recordings to PC via TiVoToGo and then edit them down to individual songs using VideoReDo. Although if you have no other use for VRD then that could be an expensive prospect, since only the latest TVS v4 version has an "Audio Only" output mode and it's ~$100 for the software.

Another option that would be more steps, but use free software, would be to use tivodecode or DirectShow dump to decrypt the TiVo files, then use tsMuxeR to demux the audio and video streams, then open the audio in Audicity, edit it down to individual songs and then save each one as an MP3 or AAC.

Either method would be better then using RCA cables as it would retain the original digital data of the broadcast instead of going through and extra analog>digital conversion. Although if those channels are protected by your cable provider then using the "analog hole" may be your only option.

Dan

6. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
  7. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    You're doing it the hard way.... or rather lower tech.

Just RECORD the channel.. then download the recording with your computer (e.g. with kmttg or the official Tivo software if you're unfortunately using Windows)..

Then export just the audio to another file.

I have done essentially this with things like Austin City Limits and talk show musical performances.