Transferring and Editing

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by West, May 3, 2020.

1. West

West New Member

May 3, 2020
    I have a Roamio Pro that is full of content. I used to be able to transfer my shows with Roxio Toast Titanium with about 50/50 success rate to my Mac and ultimately to an external hard drive for storage. That's program is now "toast", pun intended. It was too clunky anyway.

Ultimately, all I would like to do is to transfer my content off of my Roamio Pro onto a program on my Mac so that I can trim off all the content I do not want. None of what I want to edit and keep is copyright protected. It is all comedy and live music segments. Example: There is a musical segment at the end of a recording from The Late Show with S. Colbert the I would like to just transfer and trim away everything except the musical performance. It's only for my own viewing. I'm not wanting to put it on YouTube or monetize the content in any form. Just entertainment for me.

Can anyone here in the TIVOverse help me? I would be willing to pay for assistance. I'm a very low tech guy. I'm wanting to continue with TIVO as a product, but the Tech support isn't interested in helping with my dilemma. My friends think I'm stupid for even continuing with TIVO. Maybe they are right, but I'd love to prove them wrong.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Teeps likes this.
  3. gigaquad

gigaquad Tivo Image Master

Oct 25, 2004
    I'm old school, but I still use Tivo To Go. It's made by Tivo. You install it, copy some files over to make it work again, and edit with your program.
    Requires Windows though, as far as I know.

4. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Tivo To Go is a brand name by Tivo for that service function. Tivo to Comeback is another, for transfers from PC to Tivo.

KMTTG works on any computer that runs Java.

5. gigaquad

gigaquad Tivo Image Master

Oct 25, 2004
    Never heard of Tivo to Comeback. Was that a joke? To move shows from your computer to Tivo you just browse it like you would another tivo box in another room, then transfer. Your computer shows up on your tivo box as any other tivo box would.

6. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    I've been using this ^ for years to move & decrypt TiVo files to computer.
    I use VideoRedo Plus to edit and remove commercials, then save the files to a network drive. Also, with VideoRedoYou you can name the files as you like...
    My Samsung (smart) TV plays the files off a network drive.

LarryAtHome likes this.
  7. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Actually, I believe "TivoToGo" and "TivoToComeback" were registered trademarks for these service functions. They weren't used much in conversations.

8. kdmorse

kdmorse Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jan 29, 2001
    Germantown, MD
    Yes, they called the feature of moving a show from a Tivo to a PC and playing it on the PC - Tivo To Go. That name stuck.
    Yes, they tried to call the feature of moving a show saved on a PC, back to the Tivo - TivoToComeBack. That name never stuck.

The phrase TivoToComeBack was so unwieldy and unmemorable, that it had completely fallen out of my brain until ThAbtO mentioned it. ;)

9. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...