1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

transferring/activating purchased 2nd-hand Mini

Discussion in 'TiVo Mini' started by rwaxman, Jul 12, 2018.

1. rwaxman

rwaxman New Member

Jul 10, 2018
    When buying a used Mini on ebay or elsewhere, there seems to be a lot of confusion about what has to be done to get it activated with free lifetime service. The following threads show that there is a variety of experiences, and there doesn't seem to be a clear resolution of the issue.

adding used mini to account
    Not all TiVo Minis have lifetime?
    Tivo Mini subscription

I'm curious if a clearer picture has emerged since the last discussion. How can you ensure that a Mini you buy used will be able to be transferred/activated with free lifetime?

2. rwaxman

rwaxman New Member

Jul 10, 2018
    After doing a little more research, it looks like free lifetime service for Minis started in September of 2014, which precedes the introduction of Mini V2 (93000) in February of 2015. I assumes that means that any Mini v2 already has free lifetime.

3. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Go to www.tivo.com and see if you can activate it. You just need the TSN. If that fails, you have to succumb to CS torture.

4. davidnnc

davidnnc New Member

Apr 25, 2015
    Back in May I purchased a used Mini v2 off of Ebay. After a little back and forth, the seller and I determined that the seller needs to get a Case # from Tivo that refers to the seller removing the Mini from his/her account. This Case # needs to be passed to the buyer and the buyer will call Tivo support. Explain that you have purchased a used Mini (referring to the Case #) and would like to add it to your account. It may take up to 24 hours before you can activate it. It worked very smoothly for me.

Mikeguy and kpeters59 like this.
  5. rwaxman

rwaxman New Member

Jul 10, 2018
    Thanks David. Based on your advice, I've been contacting ebay sellers of Minis I might bid on to make sure they are the actual owner of the account the device is on. Some have given pretty dodgy answers, or just don't respond. One even got pretty nasty after I corrected his initial response that nothing needed to be done -- pretty suspicious.

Mikeguy likes this.