Transfering Prohibited by the Copyright Holder

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by rlares, Oct 8, 2007.

1. Oct 8, 2007 #1 of 15
    rlares

rlares New Member

Jul 10, 2007
    I just purchased two TiVo wireless NICs so I can get both my TiVo's onto the same network to share recordings between them.

How lame is this crap, "transfering prohibited by the copyright holder"? Just about every program I have on either TiVo unit appears to be "protected". This option is so lame, I feel ripped-off by TiVo. Talk about hyping a lame feature.

Pretty shameful, TiVo.

2. Oct 8, 2007 #2 of 15
    timr_42

timr_42 Active Member

Oct 14, 2001
    st louis, MO
    About the only ones on mine are TivoCast and Amazon recordings. What is in your NP list?

3. Oct 8, 2007 #3 of 15
    windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    It's your cable provider that's setting the copy-protection flag, TiVo is just obeying it.

4. Oct 8, 2007 #4 of 15
    rlares

rlares New Member

Jul 10, 2007
    Regardless, since there is practically nothing to transfer between two TiVo's, there's no point in advertising the feature, is there? Because I didn't realize this was (in my opininion) a marketing ploy, I spent the cash to purchase two TiVo wireless NICs and I am absolutely no better off than before. I can't do what I intended to do when I purchased the two NICs.

It may not be TiVo's fault that the shows I want to watch are protected. In my opinion, it is TiVo's fault that they sold this as a "feature". Do you feel enriched by this, so called, feature? I don't.

5. Oct 8, 2007 #5 of 15
    old64mb

old64mb New Member

Apr 11, 2005
    In general, there's plenty of content to transfer between Tivos on the same network. It's not at all a marketing ploy, since it generally tends to work for many of us. Those of us who have had to deal with firewire enabled devices have had this problem for years, and Tivo has utterly nothing to do with anything via firewire - go argue with Sony and Apple.

Go call up your cable provider and offer your "opininion" about copy flags if it makes you feel better. There's a lot to criticize Tivo on, but this isn't in the list.

6. Oct 8, 2007 #6 of 15
    HDTiVo

HDTiVo Not so Senior Member

Nov 27, 2002
    Since we are in the coffee house, I'll mention virtually all content that ends up on my S2s is transferrable.

I've paid enough attention to know that quite a bit of content that ends up of my hi def TiVoes will be transferable. Hi Def TiVo transfers are going to save me a ton of disk space in duplicate recordings.

7. Oct 8, 2007 #7 of 15
    james.92

james.92 New Member

Jul 18, 2006

DNFTT :rolleyes:

8. Oct 8, 2007 #8 of 15
    Slider10

Slider10 TiVo Minion

Aug 5, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Your anger should be directed at "Big Business" and their retarded ways of treating all of us like criminals. TiVo tries to play by the rules so they don't go the way of ReplayTV. Don't get all pissy because your cable providor sucks. Call them & TiVo up and try to get the situation fixed because all normal content is tranferrable. Your providor is incorrectly flagging the shows as non-transferrable. :mad:

9. Oct 9, 2007 #9 of 15
    ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    yes this same poster tried to argue that a full recently deleted folder would cause defrag and slow down issues on a TiVo DVR. He is just looking for things to argue about in my opinion.

10. petew

petew Active Member

Jul 31, 2003
    Pittsburg, CA
    If the OP would list some of the shows that are copy protected perhaps the community could help them fix the problem. In most cases this problem is caused by mis configured equipment at the cable co's headhead, so a call to the right people can get the issue fixed.

Bottom line if the shows are broadcast TV the cable co is in the wrong and they should fix their equipment.

11. MaryT

MaryT Member

Dec 3, 2001
    NJ
    What in the world are you trying to transfer?

I was able to transfer every single program on my NP list that I wanted to the other tivo. I'm talking about OTA movies and regular weekly series.

12. dthmj

dthmj Hinky TCF Club

Mar 12, 2002
    Texas
    I've only had one program in recent memory not transfer... last week's Dirty Sexy Money.

And last night, Weeds transfered, but without sound. I don't know if it recorded that way on the first TiVo or not - maybe it came from Showtime like that.

13. erikg

erikg Member

Aug 20, 2007
    I get that error when I try to play a file that is not necessarily encoded properly for the tivo desktop to stream to my series 3. Maybe try a different codec or container for your video?

Oh, oops, i get it now. Your recorded tv programs. My fault.

14. MickeS

MickeS Active Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Welcome to the brave new digital world.

15. adessmith

adessmith Active Member

Oct 4, 2007
    I agree with the rest of you, of the ~60 programs on my tivo about 4 would not transfer. (1 Unbox and 3 Tivocast)