Transfering Grandfathered lifetime to the Newly Announced HD Tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by tgmii, Jul 24, 2007.

1. tgmii

tgmii Member

Feb 21, 2002
    New Jersey
    There may be a precedent for doing this with the other tivo's but I've heard stories of the call center folks not knowing the deal.

I have a Series 1 from 1999.... so its eligible for that one shot transfer, and then retired. I saw the press release this morning for the new Tivo, so I'm ready to pull the trigger.

Must I buy it direct from Tivo, or can the other resellers (amazon.. etc) handle not buying the service at the time. Will the reps know?

Thanks...

Tom

2. tgmii

tgmii Member

Feb 21, 2002
    New Jersey
    10 minutes into the call... "We don't do that"

Arghh...

I could buy the monthly with the 30 day money back, and then I have a month to straighten it out.

Admittedly, at this point, its a corner case, but still.... I'm sure I'm not the last Series 1 in the country!

:)

Tom

3. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    look in one of the faqs stickied at the top of this forum. there is some number you need to give the rep to look up the grandfathered transfer. the post will also outline any conditions. You need to give them that number so they understand the deal or luck into one that has done some and remembers it

4. tgmii

tgmii Member

Feb 21, 2002
    New Jersey
    THanks for that.. I'll probably need it when I register.

I kept insisting to the nice tivo lady that she was mistaken.

What she ended up saying, was buy it retail, and then call back for the activation.. since all their boxes come with service.

Maybe I could have pushed it further, but they seem to be shipping immediately from retailers (per her, and when I ordered it online from I retailer, it looks like I'll have it thursday).

Thanks...

Tom

5. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    ah, well the CSR is right about that part. You need a box that has not had activatied service on it and then do the transfer. This would also mean you would not get a rebate on the S3 HD but I doubt there will be one anyway.
    So buying from TiVo.com is out but best buy will have them available so that should not be a big problem and it gives a you a brick and mortar store if the hardware has a defect.

6. gbnyc

gbnyc New Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Rep I spoke to knew about the free lifetime transfer for grandfathered TiVos (she didn't need me to give her the code), but said it doesn't apply to the TiVoHD (at least for now).

7. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    Funny. I seem to recall people buying the Series 3 who were able to transfer their LIFETIME service to the new machine. Believe that was for a fee, tho'.

8. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    that is a new twist. I had wondered out loud when the first S3 came out if they would exclude it, but they did not and said it was because the offer applied to any TiVo hardware. If it was me I would be asking for more clarifiaction on that point.

9. mick66

mick66 Dirty Burger

Oct 15, 2004
    The 'verse
    Lifetime subs on the S3 units came from gift cards, the limited time offer $199 transfer from a lifetime S1 or S2 or from grandfathered S1 transfers.

10. HDTiVo

HDTiVo Not so Senior Member

Nov 27, 2002
    Since the bundle program started, have grandfather transfers been allowed on series 2 units bought from TiVo.com, or has it been necessary to buy a retail box? (and skip the rebate?)

11. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    you had to bring your own box without prior service on it of any kind and skip the rebate. I wonder if that is what is happening here?

gbnyc - did the TiVo HD you wnat to transfer service on already have some service activated or bundled with it?

12. HDTiVo

Nov 27, 2002
    Bingo.

13. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    You may not believe this but you can get the rebate on any rebate eligible TiVo when its activated no matter the method used to activated it, you people have it all incorrect as I and friends have been able to get a rebate on retail TiVos (not gotten from TiVo itself with bundled service) that were activated by a TiVo approved Lifetime xfers with never a problem. This includes a S1 pre Jan, 27 2000 lifetime activation or any lifetime gift sub. (you must meet all the purchase dates and activation date requirements and the TiVo can never have called in before the purchase date on your submitted receipt) The last time I know this was done was with the series 2 DT activated with a lifetime gift sub (before the Series 3 came out) The HD TiVo have no rebates as of now so the point is moot on the Series 3 or TiVo-HD units.

14. gbnyc

gbnyc New Member

Jun 19, 2002
    The reps (I've tried twice now) said that the grandfather transfer is not available to the TiVoHD at all, regardless of how I would buy it, without or without any service bundled. This issue is popping up on multiple threads -- as I mentioned here http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=5355772&highlight=grandfather#post5355772 , the second rep said that they had received a communication from "headquarters" the morning that TiVoHD was released, telling them that grandfather lifetime transfers are not permitted for the TiVoHD. Both reps. noted that that doesn't mean that they'll never be permitted, but they clearly aren't permitted so far.

15. MScottC

MScottC Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Try this post... about 2/3 of the way down in the FAQ

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=290723

Plenty of people transferred Grandfathered (purchased on or before January 21, 2000) to the Series 3

Q. Can I transfer my Product Lifetime service contract to new hardware?

A. For Product Lifetime, the answer is no, just like today. This isn't really part of our announcement and the rules haven't changed, but since this is a frequently asked question I'm including it here. Product Lifetime is always tied to the specific box that you activated, as defined in the terms of the Product Lifetime Description: http://www.tivo.com/0.4.asp

There are only four exceptions:

30-day money back guarantee: During the first 30 days after you activate your Product Lifetime service, you can transfer freely from one unit to another.
    Grandfather transfer: The one-time "Grandfather transfer" (for people who purchased Product Lifetime on or before January 21, 2000 [as in, more than six years ago], and who have not already used their one-time transfer) is still allowed and will also be honored for future hardware releases from TiVo, such as the Series3. If you have any trouble when you call, please mention KDB code 09-07-04 to the agent.
    Authorized warranty replacement:In the event that a unit with Product Lifetime malfunctions, you can opt to have it repaired under warranty by the manufacturer. If the manufacturer (whether it's TiVo, Humax, Sony, etc.) cannot repair the unit and opts to replace it, we will transfer the Product Lifetime service to the new unit. In most cases this happens automatically. If not, you can usually make the change yourself in Manage My Account or by calling customer support.
    Extended warranty through a retailer: As a courtesy, TiVo will usually allow a Product Lifetime service transfer in the case that you purchased an extended warranty from a retailer, and the retailer was not able to repair the unit and instead replaced it with an equivalent unit under the terms of their extended warranty program. Note that customer support might ask to see evidence of the extended warranty agreement.

16. crouch

crouch New Member

Jul 21, 2007
    I called before I placed my order through Best Buy and the rep told me that the grandfathering request would, in fact, be honored. I gave her the code that's mentioned in several posts, she briefly checked with her supervisor, and then said it would be no problem.

I certainly hope that it's honored now that I've actually ordered the thing, but I don't anticipate a problem.

I suggest you call again, give the code, and hope for a more receptive customer rep.

17. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    That TiVo page no longer comes up (for me anyways) have you tried that link or is an old link ?

18. gbnyc

gbnyc New Member

Jun 19, 2002
    I'm on the phone now with TiVo. Rep says that they reversed their policy since yesterday, and now will honor a grandfather transfer for the new TiVo HD!

19. HDTiVo

Nov 27, 2002
    That makes more sense.

20. jfh3

jfh3 Active Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Denver area
    I don't think Tivo changed anything, but rather the first rep yesterday was blowing smoke or confused it with the recently ended S2DT transfer offer.