transfered files won't play

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by silvermang, Jul 14, 2007.

1. silvermang

silvermang New Member

Jul 14, 2007

Advertisements

I have just setup my Tivo 2 Dual Tuner. I have no problems transferring files from Tivo to my PC, but, the files will not play, nothing happens. I looked at the file's properties in Windows Media Player and, oddly, it said the file was a 0 length audio file, so, I guess that's part of the reason why it won't play. But, why do the properties look wrong? In Windows Explorer it show as 1.3gb file.

2. rambler

rambler Member

Dec 3, 2005
    What version Media Player?

3. randyone

randyone New Member

Jul 16, 2007
    I, too, have a dual tuner Tivo (80 hr) that will transfer video files to the pc just fine but when I try to play with Windows Media Player (v 11.0.5721.5145) the file will not play. The file properties within windows media player show a zero length, but in explorer the properties show as a "Tivo Recording" at 800 mb.

When I try to play the file with Nero Showtime it does play but only part of the video is visible and it looks like an old cable box scrambled video.

Any suggestions?

4. CuriousMark

CuriousMark Forum Denizen

Jan 13, 2005
    SoCal
    Check out www.tivo.com/codec

Either adding a codec that will work or removing the current codec that breaks with TiVo files may fix the problem. The easiest, but most expensive solution is to simply buy a TiVo Desktop Plus key. Desktop Plus not only unlocks codecs that will work, it hardwires them in (sort of) so that they are the only codec that will be used with tivo files. There are also less expensive alternatives that you can find by searching in this forum.

CuriousMark

5. randyone

randyone New Member

Jul 16, 2007

Advertisements

Thanks, it was the mpeg-2 codec that I was using. It works for dvd's but not .tivo files. You'd think that a standard would be a standard, but I guess that's what keeps it all "interesting". :-0