Transfer Videos

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by kturcotte, Jul 1, 2011.

1. kturcotte

kturcotte Active Member

Dec 8, 2002
    Portland, ME
    I have some videos on my computer (Windows 7 64-bit) that I'd like to transfer/watch on my Premiere. Can this be done without using the paid version of Tivo Desktop, and if so, how?

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    PyTivo.

3. kturcotte

kturcotte Active Member

Dec 8, 2002
    Portland, ME
    I've got it running, and the Tivo actually sees the movies, but won't play them. I probably have to convert them to a compatible format? What's best?

4. kturcotte

kturcotte Active Member

Dec 8, 2002
    Portland, ME
    I got it figured out. Thought it would literally "auto push" the videos to the Premiere. Didn't realize I had to go in an manually tell it to transfer them. All transferring now.
    Question-is it playing with/converting the movies in ANY way? That's MOSTLY okay with me, as long as it doesn't stretch 4:3 videos or change the aspect ratio in any way.

5. rahnbo

rahnbo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    To answer your specific question about transferring with Tivo Desktop paid version on Win 7/64 yes it can easily be done. The easiest way is to go to the Premiere, select the computer with your videos from the bottom of the My Shows list and browse until you find your video. If you have set up your folders correctly on the PC then you should have no problem locating it and transferring it. If its some rare obscure format I don't know what would happen but I know AVI, MKV, MP4, WMV, and a few other transfer just fine with the PC doing the transcoding. You can also set up auto transfers. As others will mention they have other program they prefer to use just wanted to answer your question.

6. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    There seems to be a bit of disconnect happening relating to the specific question that was actually asked. I'll put my two cents in and also say pyTivo is the way to go.