transfer to Mac

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by pexpert6, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Oct 9, 2009 #1 of 38
    pexpert6

pexpert6 pexpert6

Oct 9, 2009

Advertisements

My TiVO is getting pretty full of programs I'd like to keep, & I realized too late that I could have saved them at a much lower resolution. I know there's an ethernet jack, and references to home networking in the manual, so I think "no prob"...

Silly me, I connected my Series 3 HD via cross-over cable to my iBook (G4 OS 10.4), thinking the HD would show up on my desktop. I called TiVO to ask about this, & their tech suggested I check THIS forum for a free (or expensive) way to do this.

I've searched this forum, & I'm still pretty confused about how to do this. I've seen something about TiVO settings that aren't referenced in my manual, & other posts that imply I must have Toast to do this. Perhaps someone will help me, more plainly than other posts I've seen?

Can someone walk me through how to connect to my Mac, how to find the proper settings (both in the Mac & TiVO), how to move the files to my Mac & then back them up to DVDs?

If I MUST have software, what will I need that is compatible with my iBook, that I can get for free or cheap?

Thank you, in advance!

2. Oct 9, 2009 #2 of 38
    Wil

Wil Unknown Member

Sep 26, 2002
    To get started just enter your Tivo's ip address into your browser and browse the Tivo website. Once you get your Tivo activated for file transfers and know your authorization number (MAK), look up iTivo's website and install on your Mac.

3. Oct 9, 2009 #3 of 38
    richsadams

richsadams Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2003
  4. Ladd Morse

Ladd Morse Member

Feb 21, 2002
    Agreed; iTiVo for transfering programs off the TiVo onto the Mac and PyTiVoX for the reverse.

5. richsadams

Jan 4, 2003

Advertisements

Make sure it's PyTiVoX (with the "X") for Mac. :)

6. Wil

Wil Unknown Member

Sep 26, 2002
    PyTiVo itself is platform independent (though there is one specific version among the distributions that is a Windows installation app, much like pyTiVoX is Mac-only).

PyTiVoX provides a front end to do the preference settings, and it automatically installs a fairly recent version of the support file ffmpeg compiled specifically for the Mac.

Choosing pretty much depends upon how hands on you want to be; a pure pyTiVo allows more control, you know what's going on if something goes wrong, and you can update whenever you want, rather than relying on the one person who generously supports pyTiVoX and updates now and then. There are several people supporting pyTiVo. Also with the pure pyTiVo you can select among a number of ffmpegs with different capabilities, even compiling your own, defined with the packages you want, if you _really_ want hands on.

7. richsadams

Jan 4, 2003
    Ah, got it. I did not know that. Good info. I'm usually "hands on" but PyTiVoX always does such a great job, I think I'll stick with it. :up:

8. pexpert6

pexpert6 pexpert6

Oct 9, 2009
    Thanks for the reply! I assume TiVO IP address can be found by hunting through the menu screens?

And when you say "browse the TiVO website," you mean access my TiVO DVR with a browser? Will that give me an option to activate for file transfers, as well as the authorization number (MAK)?

I'm not sure what you mean by the last (look up iTiVO's website and install on your Mac)...

I appreciate the help!

9. pexpert6

pexpert6 pexpert6

Oct 9, 2009
    Thanks for the reply... I looked at the linked page, and I'm curious if there's instructions for this app, for whatever format one burns to a DVD?

I appreciate the help!

10. pexpert6

pexpert6 pexpert6

Oct 9, 2009
    Wow, that was WAY over my head! Do I need ALL of those programs, or will the first one Rich mentioned allow me to transfer the files to my Mac and burn them to a DVD?

Thanks!

11. richsadams

Jan 4, 2003
    Instructions for using either iTiVo or PyTiVoX are on the linked pages...the same one's that include the file download.

However if you want to download and burn shows to DVD your best bet then would be KMTTG:

http://code.google.com/p/kmttg/

Instructions for Mac installation are here:

http://code.google.com/p/kmttg/wiki/mac_osx_installation

There is a very good KMTTG thread here (the author is a regular TCF member):

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=387725&highlight=KMTTG

It's a very good program which I've used as well, however I can't speak to the commercial removal and burn features as I've never used them. I still use VideoReDo TVSuite for all of my editing and burning. It's an excellent PC program...one of the few reasons I keep a PC around (that and upgrading TiVo ;)). The folks there tell me they're working on a Mac verison. Can't wait. You hear that guys? CAN'T WAIT!! :D

12. Wil

Wil Unknown Member

Sep 26, 2002
    My initial answer to you was:

"To get started just enter your Tivo's ip address into your browser and browse the Tivo website. Once you get your Tivo activated for file transfers and know your authorization number (MAK), look up iTivo's website and install on your Mac."

That's it.

The other posters and I got sidetracked into a discussion that goes beyond what you asked about. Happens. Sorry.

If, and only if, you at some point come to understand that it makes a lot more sense to store your shows on hard disk and play them back directly from your hard drive(s) via the Tivo, rather than storing them individually on DVD, does any of this further discussion apply.

13. DCIFRTHS

DCIFRTHS Active Member

Jan 6, 2000
    New York
    I would love to see a Mac version too!

14. Wil

Wil Unknown Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Yes. Everyone I know has set up a fixed ip address for their Tivos so they know it, but in any case Tivo Central/Messages& Settings/Settings/Phone & Network will get you the ip address.

Yes. Actually it's just a convenient way to get to your Tivo account on the web; you're talking to Tivo Inc rather than to your Tivo DVR, that address is just a good way to get started. Just follow the obvious paths; you'll find how to activate and get you MAK. Go slow. Look at the menus you see and think about what you're trying to do.

Well, look up itivo's website via google (I just did that and it's the very first entry) (or I think one of the other posters above gave you a link). When you go there, you'll find links to download the itivo program. Install it. On your Mac. Instructions are not really needed but I'm sure you'll also find a link on the site to some instructions.

Itivo allows you to download shows from your Tivo in DVD format.

Again, I'm not recommending this at all, I think it's pretty much 20th century stuff. But that's what most people are doing, that's what you asked how to do.

15. pexpert6

pexpert6 pexpert6

Oct 9, 2009
    I'm getting more confused the more I read...

I went into the Phone & Network menu, but don't see an IP address anywhere. My TiVO gets info from a phone connection, which is handy. I think you were assuming otherwise, although I did originally say I was trying to connect my iBook to the DVR by a crossover cable.

Am I to understand that perhaps I CAN'T transfer files WITHOUT connecting the TiVO to a home network? If so, this renders this whole issue moot, until a later date.

(The basic cabling was something I was asking about right in the beginning.)

Again, if I understand, if I connect the TiVO to a network, request an IP address, and find this MAK thing somewhere from TiVO's website, then the only other thing I need is this iTiVO program? It will allow me to transfer the files, already in DVD format, for backing up?

If I move my TiVO someplace to be able to connect to a network and a TV, go through all this online stuff, can I put my TiVO *back* where it is (with only a phone connection) and THEN transfer files directly to my iBook, over a x-o cable?

16. Wil

Wil Unknown Member

Sep 26, 2002
    What is your computer internet connection via?

17. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    Your Tivo needs to be connected to a home network. Go to tivo.com and do a search for "Tivo to Mac", without the quotes. They have a version of the TivoToGo/Tivo Desktop software for use with a Mac. It's also included with Roxio Toast. One caveat is that it currently does not work with Snow Leopard (MAC OS X 10.6), although Roxio supposedly has a beta version as a workaround that you can download if you are using Toast. They are working on an update that will be compatible with 10.6.

One thing I didn't see mentioned is that you have to log into your acount at Tivo.com and set up your Tivo for transfers and also assign a name to it if you use TivoToGo.

18. Thess

Thess Drive-By Poster

Mar 23, 2002
    Durham, NC
    Won't a lot of this also be dependent on whether his cableco is DRMing everything?

Says the disgruntled TWC customer who can transfer basically nothing off the TiVo.

19. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
  20. DCIFRTHS

DCIFRTHS Active Member

Jan 6, 2000
    New York