Transfer Tivo 3 HD motherboard - does AIP transfer to a different Tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by duhmel, Sep 26, 2020.

1. duhmel

duhmel Member

Feb 15, 2005

Advertisements

I understand the info related to the AIP is contained in the motherboard. My Tivo has a number of problems and postage to sell the unit is about $50, so I was wondering if I sell the motherboard, will the Buy get the AIP when he installs it in an another unit?

2. Wil

Wil Unknown Member

Sep 26, 2002
    The series 3 is different than the series 3 model HD in this respect, but only for the very knowledgable and adept. Unless this is actually an s3 (not an HD) and this question is very deep, the answer is yes; the motherboard is the Tivo.

3. duhmel

duhmel Member

Feb 15, 2005
    The specific model number is TCD652160. If a motherboard from that unit (which has AIP) is placed in a different TCD652160, will that unit have an AIP.

4. Wil

Wil Unknown Member

Sep 26, 2002
    That's the model HD. So no ambiguity. Yes.

5. lhvetinari

lhvetinari Watching telly, drinking wine - Lily Allen

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago

Advertisements

Yes. The Motherboard makes the TiVo, the rest (body shell, PSU, faceplate/IR board, hard drive) are all swappable without effecting the lifetime status of the motherboard.

Just make sure that if you're using an existing hard drive in the "destination" (and not bringing the old one along) that you run a C&DE to pair the drive to the swapped motherboard, or weird stuff will happen.