Transfer Times

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by RickAltman, Mar 31, 2008.

1. RickAltman

RickAltman New Member

Oct 20, 2004

Advertisements

It has been about two years since I last used TTG, and at the time, it simply became too tedious to wait for an almost real-time transfer of material -- an hour show required about 50 minutes of transfer time.

I would just like to know if the situation has changed in any way. Have there been any improvements/upgrades to the compression schemes or ratios, or the protection (which I understand was the reason for the bottleneck), or anything else that would be classified as evolution over the past two years of TTG.

Thanks...

Rick A.
    Pleasanton CA

2. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...
    Actually, it is believed the encryption is added during the recording process not the transfer. But the audio and video must be multiplexed together during transfer which is the reason for the slow down. (MRV doesn't require this, which is why it is faster.)

Things have not become any faster unfortunately.

3. MrOrange677

MrOrange677 New Member

Nov 12, 2003
    I know that most of you know this and certainly don't want to insult anyone. However, I had horrible transfer rates on my network. I did some research and realized that when you use a wireless network, no matter how fast the network is (G, N etc.), your router gears its maximum speed to the lowest connection speed on the network. It cost me a bit of money but I upgraded all my tivo wireless connections to the tivo brand usb and made sure that nothing on my network was less than G. I now get downloads at around 2X real time (30 min in 15 min or less).

Anyway, I don't even know if you're using wireless or not, but this made a big difference for me.

4. beckerpm

beckerpm New Member

Jun 30, 2004
    WI
    Same thing happened to me, but as of late, the old symptoms have recurred and I cannot xfer any significant size .mpg from PC to TIVO without failure. The xfer speed is very slow again, despite signal strength of 80+ percent. The PC is wired to router.. PC task manager shows spurts of xfer with frequent dead spots of varying lengths... :(

5. ForrestB

ForrestB New Member

Apr 8, 2004

Advertisements

You're info about mixed mode networks is incorrect. According to this article http://www.giantmike.com/tests/WirelessRouter.html
    there's very little difference in speed when comparing a mixed 802.11b+g network to 802.11g only network.