Transfer shows to remove TIVO (away from home)

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by natahoa, Apr 20, 2011.

1. natahoa

natahoa New Member

Apr 20, 2011
    I am planning to spend the summer at my second home. I will take my Tivo Premiere with me so I can record off the air, but I would also like to be able to transfer shows from my home Tivo (uses cable broadband) to the Tivo I will have with me for the summer (using DSL).

Is this possible using Slingbox? How well does the data transfer--does it have to go to a PC first? Is there any other way to transfer recordings to my "on the road" Tivo from my home Tivo?

2. True Colors

True Colors Member

Oct 18, 2006
    1 use kmttg to transfer your home Tivo recordings onto the hard drive of your home computer

2 set up a VPN connection to your house

3 transfer the files from your PC To your remove[sic] location over the VPN

TC

3. natahoa

natahoa New Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Okay, thanks for the tip. Not sure that's the correct solution for me, but I'll look into it.

4. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach Active Member

Feb 28, 2001
    Drexel Hill, PA
    If you have a Slingbox you don't have to transfer the recordings. You can just watch your home TiVo from your summer home.

5. True Colors

True Colors Member

Oct 18, 2006
    @beach..... your solution will not do what the original post asked for.

The original post said

"I would also like to be able to transfer shows from my home Tivo (uses cable broadband) to the Tivo I will have with me for the summer (using DSL)."

Sling box doesn't do that.

Sling box will allow you to stream shows and watch them remotely by using a remote client. But it does not transfer content from one tivo to another Tivo.

To do that you would have to have a network connection between the sites(such as a VPN connection).

TC

6. Toob_Sox

Toob_Sox New Member

Jun 17, 2010
    While the slingbox solution doesn't technically answer his question (how to transfer) it does solve his issue. The issue is solved using the Slingbox so the question be asked is irrellevent. Just my 2 cents!