Transfer shows and settings to replacement Bolt+

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Patrick Linley, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Patrick Linley

Patrick Linley Member

Jan 14, 2018
    So my Bolt+ started losing channels (V53 error)... cable co. replaced cable card - no change... Tivo support told me my signal was too strong, so I got an attenuator - no change... support finally agreed to replace the box... they have sent my new Bolt+ with no power supply (WTF???).... so how do I transfer my shows to the new box??

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  2. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Will both boxes be active simultaneously? If so, go to your online.tivo.com account and transfer them via the feature there.

3. Patrick Linley

Patrick Linley Member

Jan 14, 2018
    How can I make both boxes active simultaneously if they didn’t sent me a power supply for the replacement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    That is a good question, you can't. Unless you buy a power supply which would just be used for the transferring I guess. Or you have a power supply sitting around you can use, check the specs on the original PS, if you use another must have the same voltage and at least the same amps as the original and DC. Depending on what OS you have on your Tivos you might be able to transfer to computer using pyTivo, then transfer back (no copyrighted shows).

5. tommage1

tommage1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    When they send a replacement they don't send a PS or remote, you use the ones you have. Not tremendous if you are going to be transferring before sending back. If you do try a PS you have sitting around obviously test it on the OLD Tivo just in case. If you are not sure don't do it.

6. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    Doesn't the TA use the same power supply?

7. Patrick Linley

Patrick Linley Member

Jan 14, 2018
    Not sure what you mean by TA, but all i have is 1 mini and 1 bolt. Anyway. I called them this am and asked how to transfer. The tech said to hook both up and do it online. I said how the hell am i supposed to do that with 1 PS. He said hmmm... good question, transferred me to CS. After I (once again) informed them of how utterly stupid they are, they agreed to send me a PS.

Also said the service had been transferred to the replacement box and that the old one would probably stop working in a couple of days. I said well how will I transfer the shows then? They said I would have to activate the old box for a month and then they would issue me a refund. Again, told them how stupid that was and that it’s not very CS-friendly. Told them just to give me a free month on the old box. The checked with someone again and then said the old box should stay active for up to two weeks. We will see. How sweet this world would be with just a touch less ignorance in the workforce.

rdrrepair and Mikeguy like this.
  8. gbenrus25

gbenrus25 Member

Nov 1, 2017
    I was in the same situation as you. TiVo is really poor with catering for transfers.

While transferring shows online, you're going to need a LOTT of patience especially if you have a lot of shows. It's extremely bug-ridden (just like Tivo in general is). I had to transfer about 100 episodes last month and it was the most frustrating experience.

Things to watch out for:
    1) You probably can't transfer more than about 5 episodes at a time. Otherwise, Tivo Online fails in the transfer.
    2) Even if the transfer is successful, you need to actually ensure the episode goes past the 10 minutes mark. This involves playing all the episodes you care about on the new Tivo because there's no other way to be sure. In my case, I had returned the old box then tried playing some episodes and alas, most of them only transferred 10 minutes so were worthless. Useless Tivo Online!

9. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    When transferring shows I had the opposite experience of @gbenrus25 . The first thing I did was transfer all of my season passes, aka OnePass, to the new box. Then when I went to transferred my shows I reshuffled the order alphabetically by clicking on the "A -Z" tab. I only initiated the transfer as one series at a time. I was at 92% full on a 3TB box.

Your replacement box will be loaded with the Hydra (Gen4) platform. If you're currently on Gen3 you should roll back the replacement box first as you won't be able to later unless you're willing to lose everything you transferred.

10. gbenrus25

gbenrus25 Member

Nov 1, 2017
    Wow. Was this done on Gen4? I couldn't understand how the transfer process was so terrible. Even when I did series by series, it failed a bunch of times still. Then their website, sorting by name on the Transfer page didn't sort the episodes of a show consistently (and it'd fail if I tried to transfer all 10 episodes at once). Sorting by date ended up even worse because it'd only sort some by date while others won't be sorted. It took me about 4 days of transferring to feel like everything was finally transferred correctly only to later find out most didn't even transfer more than 10 minutes. Such a huge pain. Very interesting to see that you had a smooth experience.

On a side note, it's also very interesting to me to see that TiVo is so raved about. I'm not sure if it used to be reliable but for me, it's been one issue after another after another. Maybe it's because I joined right at the beginning of Hydra though but if I hadn't paid for an annual subscription, I'll definitely choose Xfinity X1 over TiVo.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

11. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    No, everything is on Gen3.

12. gbenrus25

gbenrus25 Member

Nov 1, 2017
    Oh, that explains why yours went smoothly. Gen3 is a completely different ball game

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk