Transfer recordings to Bolt replacement unit

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by JoeCNJ, Jan 28, 2020.

1. JoeCNJ

JoeCNJ New Member

Jan 28, 2020
    Last month, I received an email from TiVo that my Bolt's hard drive may be failing. I've had no problems with my Bolt but have read where others have, so I decided to take them up on the offer to send a new one. They sent a refurbished replacement unit. The transfer is moving very slow. After 24 hours, it transferred 1% of the content. At this point, I informed TiVo I am sending back the unit and will take my chances on the Bolt that I have now. Does anyone know of an efficient way to transfer ? The TiVo online option seems completely inefficient and I can't believe that there isn't better technology in place to transfer from one unit to another, or at least back up your content. I've searched the forums. Seems like the Bolt won't support an external drive. I'm also unsure how to try and transfer with the ethernet cable, and if in fact anyone has had success with this. I thought I would ask before I send the replacement unit back. Thank you for any help.

2. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Disconnect power from the bolts and the router, then turn on the router and then turn on the bolts and try again.

3. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Yep--try a total reboot procedure. Even with my often-sucky home wireless network, I zoom compared to 1% over 24 hours.

Also, you may want to check your home WiFi network to make sure it is performing well (enough).

4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    If TE3:
    TiVo button
    Setting & Messages
    Network Settings
    Network Troubleshooting
    Transfer History

If TE4 then there is no way the TiVo can tell you its transfer rate. My basic Roamio (100Mbps Ethernet) transfers at 93Mbps.

5. JoeCNJ

JoeCNJ New Member

Jan 28, 2020
    Thank you all for the quick reply. Unfortunately, did not work, but I appreciate the responses.

6. KevTech

KevTech Active Member

Apr 15, 2014
    Bolts on TE3 or TE4?

7. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    If your replacement Bolt is running the HORRIBLE TE4, then you have NO other options. Bad_Rovi has deliberately chosen to block file transfers with that nasty software (somehow they think that is going to help their business????).

If you upgrade your replacement Bolt back to TE3, then you can copy any non-copy protected programs directly between the units on your home network without using the web site. This should be MUCH faster and have less errors. You can also use pyTiVo to copy the programs from a TiVo to your computer, but they can NOT be copied back to any box running HORRIBLE TE4 (they can be copied to a box running TE3).

Your only other option to save those programs is to try to clone your existing drive while it is still working, and then put the new clone back into the SAME ORIGINAL BOLT that it was copied from. There is a good chance this will work, depending on just what kind of errors that original drive is exhibiting. The sooner you do the clone, the better your chances, sinc your drive is probably getting worse every minute it is running. But make sure you read up on how to do it, and follow the directions exactly. If you try and boot that original or cloned drive in any other TiVo, it will wipe the drive and all will be lost.

8. keithg1964

keithg1964 Ragonk

Feb 2, 2006
    Texas
    TE4 is not HORRIBLE. I wish all the TE4 bashers would just shut up and get back to their Windows 3.1 Computers, Model T vehicles, washboards down by the river washing clothes, Manual windows, carbed engines, Tube TVs, VCRs, Landlines, Dialup Internet, AOL Mail, etc.

9. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    It is pretty HORRIBLE for the OP if it is blocking him from being able to save his recordings that he is about to loose. Or do you imagine that he should be happy with that?

10. keithg1964

keithg1964 Ragonk

Feb 2, 2006
    Texas
    One missing feature makes an entire interface horrible.

11. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    The OP has a network problem that probably has nothing to do with TE4. I like TE4 about as much as I like NK, but I don't consider it horrible. The OP still hasn't posted my request for transfer speed. I used to transfer from TE3 to TE4 frequently until I found out the recordings are bad after 10 minutes. When that is fixed, I'll resume the transfers.

12. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Excuse me please, but my laptop is on Win10. Where I download podcasts using the Juice (fka iPodder) podcast downloader. ;)