Transfer Recordings: TiVos in Different Locations?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by michael1248, Apr 24, 2016.

1. michael1248

michael1248 Member

Feb 14, 2002
    I received an email and probably didn't read the fine print...

Tried to transfer recordings between TiVos in 2 separate geographical locations. Logged on to the TiVo site, went thru the Manage>Transfer Recordings process for my 2 TiVos and never received a "No, you can't do that" message.

The recordings never transferred.

2. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    You can only share recording between TiVos that are on the same account and share the same MAK (Media Access Key).

3. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Plus your cable company has to allow transfers (copying of recordings) and when you are doing the transfers the TiVos have to be on the same LAN. All of which is not new, being able to setup transfers from the web site didn't change any of the other requirements.

Guess TiVo just assumed people understood all this and didn't bother to outline it on the web site.

4. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    And it just triggers the normal transfer that would occur locally so you can't transfer between TiVo's at different locations even if they are on the same account with the same MAK (for example the TiVo, my son has off at college is still on my TiVo account).

Scott

5. michael1248

michael1248 Member

Feb 14, 2002
    Thanks for all the replies...you folks are constantly teaching me...and I am constantly learning!

6. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    If the recordings are not copy protected, it is possible to transfer them to a TiVo on another LAN and even on another account by first transferring them to your computer and then using pyTivo to push them to the remote TiVo.

7. bradleys

bradleys It'll be fine....

Oct 31, 2007
    On simple way to make the content available for someone on a different account is to leverage PLEX.

Download to a local directory using one of the available tools such as PyTiVo or TiVo Plex channel. Point your Plex client to that local directory and share it with the destination user. It works well and is easy for the end user and easy to manage the library.

8. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    That would require that the local system have the ability to upload at a speed that can feed the remote system in real time.

9. bradleys

Oct 31, 2007
    Plex handles it better than TiVo stream does. I think it's fair to assume 99% of the people on this forum have plenty of bandwidth to handle a remote plex stream.

The industry isn't designing products for people who do not and I don't think it is necessary to caviat suggestions based on that 1% with significantly below normal internet bandwidth.

10. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Even accepting your figure of 99% having the upload bandwidth, streaming isn't transferring and transferring can done at off hours when your system isn't doing much of anything else.

11. bradleys

Oct 31, 2007
    If that is what you want to do just setup a free Dropbox, Google Drive or Onedrive account and move the file up and send a link. It will download just fine.

I am not suggesting you use the cloud service as a media server, although Plex will allow you to do that as well with a paid account.

Moving content like that is very old school and definitely not supported by any modern or future solution.

12. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Moving it via the cloud is a monumentally silly idea.

13. bradleys

Oct 31, 2007
    Not the first time I have been accused of that! :)

I would love Plex to give me an opportunity to download locally from a friends account and several have asked for it on the forums.

Other then that, you are not going to get a mechanism to download locally from streaming services. Good lord, how many times will we rehash this conversation. It isn't something the content owner want... They like the control provided by streaming only and the "but my internet isn't good" is a straw man argument.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016