Transfer recordings - Tivo HD to Bolt OTA, can it be done?

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by 02fx4dude, Jun 9, 2019.

1. 02fx4dude

02fx4dude New Member

Jun 9, 2019

Advertisements

Hi all,
    Around mid May my Tivo HD (series 3 I believe) had a power supply issue, capacitors, now fixed. At the time I decided to take the opportunity to purchase a new Tivo Bolt OTA.

I would like to get the recordings from the S3 transferred to the Bolt but I'm not sure it can be done. Searching seems to indicate direct DVR to DVR transfers could be done. But I seem to be reading it can't be done with Hydra which is what I assume my Bolt OTA has. Further reading finds it can be done with Tivo online but my S3 seems to not be compatible with Tivo Online transfers.

So the question is, can it be done?

TIA

2. JLV03

JLV03 Active Member

Feb 12, 2018
    I think you will need a TE3 TiVo as a middleman box. Or use kmttg or PyTiVo on a computer to do the transfer.

3. reneg

reneg Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Which could also be rolling back your new Tivo Bolt to TE3. You'll only be able to transfer shows which are not copy protected off the Tivo HD.

4. 02fx4dude

02fx4dude New Member

Jun 9, 2019
    I had wondered about picking up a used Roamio off ebay, getting one month service for it and transferring, twice. But was hoping there would be an easier way without buying and shipping stuff. I Haven't been able to get PyTivo working with the Bolt yet, never had problems with it on my TivoHD. I think that's part of the Hydra experience.

That might be the easier way I was looking for, I had wondered if it was possible but after seeing your reply I did a google search and apparently it is possible to go back to TE3, and not too difficult. I would lose all recording on the Bolt but I don't have much yet anyway so not a big deal. Looks like TE3 won't be getting updates but if I can transfer recordings from my Tivo HD and if it works with PyTivo I see no reason to go back to Hydra after rolling back.

Thanks both for the ideas.

5. JLV03

JLV03 Active Member

Feb 12, 2018

Advertisements

From what I understand the Bolt OTA can't be rolled back as the hardware was never designed around TE3.

6. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    pyTivo can do TiVo box -> PC transfers under TE4/Hydra, but not the other way around. :(
    This, as stated by a TiVo rep. here a few weeks ago. :(

7. 02fx4dude

02fx4dude New Member

Jun 9, 2019
    Interesting. according to this thread several users with bolts did go back. Was there a hardware change?
    New Bolt - downgrade to HD interface?

I tried both methods. Neither worked.

Makin my life easier every day... :mad:

8. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    The trick is, the "Bolt OTA" status. No (relatively speaking) issue in sidegrading a Hydrated Bolt (non-OTA-denominated) box to TE3, it's the Bolt OTA model.

I think that this came as a surprise to people here when it was posted a few weeks back--who would have thunk it? I've always thought of the Bolt OTA as a regular Bolt minus some stuff, and it never would have occurred to me that it couldn't be sidegraded to TE3 as well, but apparently, whatever needs to be done to the box to make it possible to go back to TE3 wasn't done with the Bolt OTA model. (It could be as simple as setting some stuff and testing it out, and TiVo just didn't think to do it or didn't want to spend the minimal $ on it.)

I'm really sorry that you're being caught in this quagmire. :mad:

9. 02fx4dude

02fx4dude New Member

Jun 9, 2019
    OK, I got it. Some Bolts can be rolled back, but not the Bolt OTA. Thanks for the info.

Tivo... <long sigh>