Transfer Rates ... Help me compare

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by stingray72, Nov 22, 2005.

1. stingray72

stingray72 New Member

Nov 14, 2005

Advertisements

Ok.. I've got a series 2 tivo (model 140 USB1.1) that I've got connected to my home network. The transfer rates from my Tivo to my computer over my wireless network are abysmal.

I've got a Linksys WUSB11 connect to the Tivo routed through a NetGear 802.11G router which is talking to a Neatgear 802.11G card in my computer. All of the equipment is in the same room (dont ask) so I've got good wireless connections.

My problem is I record sporting events in best quality (football games end up being about 10G) and transfer them to my computer is takes somewhere on the order of 9 hours to download. Now if I'm doing my math correctly this is too long even for USB1.1 right?

USB1.1 is either 1.5 or 12 Mbps (mega bits per second) correct?

Now... with a 10 gigabyte file (80 gigabits) at 12 megabits per second that leaves me roughly 6666 seconds which is about 1.85 hours.

at 9 hours to transfer I'm getting a transfer rate of about 2.5 Mbs. Is there something I can do to get closer to the 11 Mbs of a 802.11b NIC??

Others with series2 with USB1.1. What kind of transfer rates are you getting?

2. stingray72

stingray72 New Member

Nov 14, 2005
    someone has to have somewhat of a thought..

I really want the 300 hr Humax unit and was going to buy it off Tivo.com but it's on backorder. Was a pretty good deal with the rebates and service time.

3. Flyinace2000

Flyinace2000 Member

Aug 2, 2005
    My transfer rates suck as well. I have a Pioneer RS-TX20 (Best Buy Deal over the summer) nd transfering shows takes at least 6 to 9 hours. And that is with 7.2 installed with a dlink 802.11g adapter. The only reason i got the G adapter was so it would not slow down the rest of my wireless network.

Does using a wired usb NIC adapter work any better?

Also if transfer rates are this slow from PC to TiVo how are the transfer rates between TiVo and TiVo (just bought a second TiVo for the basement).

4. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    can not comment on the 140 with old USB 1.1 hardware so did not post before.

but i have an RS TX20 and an hour show at high quality takes 75-90 minutes to transfer on a wired USB 2.0 adapter depending on what else the TiVo is doing.
    That is the standard transfer time and while Wireless will be slower it should not be 7 - 9 hours. That is a problem with your network setup or some hardware glitch.

bear in mind that this is a large chucnk of data that is moved around in "real time" menaing that if packets do not make it due to interference or other problem then the transfer of other packets has to stop and those packets that did not nmake it are resent. Email or browsing the web may not show the same problem as that is generally smaller chunks of data and a lot of it can be resent after other packets as it is not a media feed. most interent streaming feeds are designed to just ignore some packets that do not make it.

5. Flyinace2000

Flyinace2000 Member

Aug 2, 2005

Advertisements

My home network is well set up. I have a linksys wired router for my wired PC's and two Linksys WRT54G's with DDWRT installed and DHCP disabled with the same SSID. (one pool of IP's). Signals strength is 40% in the living room. I think i am going to run a wired adapter to the TiVo. Wireless is killing me.

6. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    40% is kind of low. It could be interference from a microwave, cordless phone , neighbor's wi-fi etc.. anyhow I went completely wired and would suggest anyone else go that route to solve the problem once and for all :up: Hope your transfer speeds up

7. retired_guy

retired_guy New Member

Aug 27, 2004
    Saratoga,...
    I used to have all wireless adapters and had terrible experiences with transfer rates. So I replaced them with three Linksys USB/ethernet adapters and a remote Linksys wireless bridge to my Linksys router for two of my remote TiVos. Now I get better than real time rates for high resolution and normally even for best resolution. Performance is consistently good on all of the TiVos.

8. Flyinace2000

Flyinace2000 Member

Aug 2, 2005
    All the cordless phones in the house are 5.8ghz. Microwave is off most of the time. Time to sell the wireless adapters on ebay and get some wired ones. Would it kill tivo to spend the extra $1.25 to add a NIC card at the factory. I think most people would not mind paying an extra few bucks for a real NIC card.

9. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004

old debate on this forum but it was a design set by going with cheaper chips on the mainboard that could only adress one thing - USB or Ethernet. TiVo went with USB for more flexibility. Maybe a bad choice in retrospect but it was more than a 1.25 choice most likely in the overall design.

anyway the new Cable Card models due out next year will have both USB and etehrnet from the looks of the prototype :up:

10. bsporl

bsporl Member

Feb 7, 2006
    If you are worried about transfer rates and want to keep a wireless network, I'd recommend the following:
    - Buy a Linksys USB dongle for the TiVo's and plug them into a wireless bridge

The bridge will generally allow faster rates because you are keeping the wireless equipment within the same family.

The benefit of a bridge is added port flexibility for other network devices. The initial setup cost "may" be higher than buying a single wireless card, but can be much cheaper if you have multiple network devices at a single location. You don't have to buy a wireless card for each device, instead all plug into the bridge.

Belkin has wireless bridging functionality built into their "G" routers and can be had for the cost of a wireless card from TiVo.

With this solution, I've seen "medium quality recording" transfer rates quicker than actual viewing time.