Transfer old shows to new TivoHD then shoot S2

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by ted_b, Dec 3, 2008.

1. ted_b

ted_b New Member

Mar 8, 2002

Advertisements

I just got a new TivoHD and have little use for the Series 2 other than have the kids watch what's left on there on the basement tv, or using it's buffer to pause live tv, etc.. I plan on transferring the subscription to the new TivoHD. There are, however, a couple of old SNL's, etc. I'd like to keep. How do I do it, since Home Media is disabled as soon as I transfer/unsubscribe? Can I transfer the SNL's now to my PC, then shoot the S2 and transfer them back to the TivoHD once it's up and running? Any secrest to doing that?
    Thanks
    Ted

2. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    No real secrets - just download the free TiVo Desktop software, transfer the shows to your PC before transferring the subscription, then transfer them to the new S3 at your convenience. Sometimes firewall or router settings can block communications between your TiVo and the Desktop software but there's plenty of help here if you run into any problems.

3. Iriskitall

Iriskitall New Member

May 30, 2004
    Tracy CA
    How do you transfer the shows back to the tivo?

4. ggieseke

May 30, 2008
    Your PC will show up at the bottom of the Now Playing screen on the TiVo, and you can initiate transfers back from there. You can also set up autotransfers on the PC to 'push' them back to the TiVo.

5. Iriskitall

Iriskitall New Member

May 30, 2004
    Tracy CA

Advertisements

Didn't realize this was for HD tivos...as this isn't the case for Series 2s...correct? This is what I've been doing searches on. How to Xfer my shows back to my S2.

6. ggieseke

May 30, 2008
    It's the same for Series 2 and Series 3 TiVos, except for DirecTV DVRs and a few S2s that came with free TiVo Basic service.