Transfer of tivo files back to my TiVo w/out TTG/TD

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by TheDrake, Sep 23, 2007.

1. TheDrake

TheDrake Still full of it.

Aug 3, 2005
    Atlanta

Advertisements

Hey all, I'm having trouble transferring programs back to my TiVo which I'm trying to resolve in another post, then had an idea. I didn't find any recent/applicable posts, so here's my question...

Is there a way I can manually transfer tivo files (originally recorded in tivo & archived on my pc) back to my TiVo without using TiVo Desktop? Like via USB drive or copying across the network? I know my TiVo IP address, now what can I do with that to get the files back on it?

Thanks in advance, all!

2. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    You can't directly copy files back to your TiVo ... you'll have to use TiVo Desktop or a third-party app like TiVo.Net or pyTiVo.

3. TheDrake

Aug 3, 2005
    Atlanta
    Thx again windracer- Good info... any personal input on these two apps? I'll do my research but you have any experience w/them?

4. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Yup, see my .sig. :)

TiVo.Net has a nicer graphical interface for filling in program information (title, description, etc.) that will show up on the NPL when the show is transferred. However, development on it has pretty much stopped.

pyTiVo really has no interface at all, but works just fine (and still has people working on it).

Both use ffmpeg behind the scenes, so they can transcode any type of video ffmpeg supports.

5. TheDrake

Aug 3, 2005
    Atlanta

Advertisements

Great info, windracer! Thanks for being a true... Frühead?!?

6. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Galleon might be a solution, if they are native MPEG2 still.

7. TheDrake

Aug 3, 2005
    Atlanta
    I'm not quite sure what that means- I haven't done anything to the files except transfer 'em to my desktop via TiVo Desktop, so I would say that they are. Thanks, classicsat, for the input.