Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Mikeguy, Mar 30, 2017.
Read #1249 just above. I'm getting a bit suspect, and preparing for bad surprises....
Did you call or chat TiVo to ask? If so, please post the results.
Yeah, the 15th date seems a bit early, to me. Certainly when compared with the initial info of getting 10 days from using the new Bolt.
Mine arrived on the 4th, so that means I get a bit over the 10 days, assuming I set it up immediately. But many people's orders shipped later than mine, so those folks are getting significantly less than 10 days, if they keep to the 15th.
And for a Series 2, transfers are very slow. If you have to wait for the Bolt to arrive (if you can't transfer to a PC first) then it's not difficult to imagine actually needing the 10 days for the process to finish.
I hope they don't shortchange people on timing, by shutting boxes off right at the 15th. I can't imagine that extending the deadline would cost them much money. They still need to support other S2s, so it's not like they get to totally shut down some service on the 16th. But not giving people enough time could result in unhappy customers.
Unfortunately, I didn't have the time to call... have a ton of stuff to do for Mom's day and a family b-day party. Could really use another week.
Meanwhile the link still says it'll be 'up' be May 11 (after the original May 9 passed without resolution)
Wow, the 15th is MONDAY!!! C'mon Tivo, either fix that web site, or release a statement. It's mother's day weekend, and lots of people are busy. Extend the date if you can't make the decommission site work
I called yesterday to verify my S2 was the one they have on deck for deactivation and the girl told me that No matter what, it's 10-days from the day you activate it and they would like them all activated by May 15. It's not the shut down date. I activated mine on May 6, so I have until the 16th to do mine...according to the girl I spoke with yesterday.
The website where you choose which box to deactivate is still down as of May 13. I have 6 lifetime Series 2/3s on my account, all eligible for the deal. I only ordered one Bolt. When I ordered I specifically told them which device I would deactivate, they said I would not have to call or do anything else in the future. Then I got the email about having to choose. Since the site has been down for so long I called. On hold about 45 mins. They told me no problem, the one I had chosen when I ordered is scheduled for deactivation. BUT I have no proof of that, only what I was told on the phone........... So am nervous since I have 5 others. We shall see I guess. I have not hooked up the Bolt as I was considering returning it if there was any question which of my 2/3s would be deactivated, NO WAY would I consider giving up any of the other 5 at this point in time.
I have a question also, when the box is deactivated will it still be on my account as a deactivated box? IE will it still have my media key on it so I could transfer shows later if needed? I assume I would still be able to watch the shows even if deactivated and unable to transfer.
Finally my thoughts on the promo. It's not a bad deal obviously. But maybe not as good as it seems? First of all you have to pay full retail for the Bolt, $200 plus tax. You can get new Bolts for $130 assuming you even want one. And then $99 for the transfer. So a bit over $300 with the tax. And you are sacrificing your series 2 or 3 which could be worth $100-200+ depending on model/upgrades etc. So really paying $400-500+ considering the sacrifice of your current 2/3. Not bad if you really want to upgrade I guess.
The main reason Tivo did this IMO is they want to discontinue service on series 2s and 3s in the future like they did with the series 1. This way they make a couple hundred bucks each ($100 for the transfers, probably $100 or so on the hardware). And get those 2s and 3s off the market. If they wait until they actually want to discontinue the 2/3s they would probably have to transfer for free and offer discounts on whatever it is being transferred to? I know some people got Bolts for like $125-175 plus a $75 gift card plus service transferred for free when they discontinued service on the 1s. The point of this is if you did not take advantage of this "not bad" offer maybe make sure you keep connecting your 2s and 3s in case of a discontinuation of those models in the future........
This is why I prefer to use the chat function on TiVos website as opposed to calling them. You have proof of the conversation (can have transcript emailed to you) and it doesn't require you to stay on hold for an indefinite period of time.
Well I am unclear on that. According to one a family member ordered the activation date is the shipping date even if you don't hook it up. When they checked their account it was kind of "in limbo" for 30 days, the return period, says you can alter the service plan. 30 days after the SHIPPING date the family members account showed permanent service plan status for the Bolt, lifetime in this case, no more return possible. 30 days after the SHIPPING DATE, not the arrival date or the date it was actually hooked up. So not hooking it up may or may not gain you any time for deactivation. I do know this, 30 days after it was actually hooked up the Series 2 is still out there, not deactivated so the 10 day thing is wrong, will check again 15/16th.
Watch, yes, transfer, no.
And then there's the, "who knows what will happen in the future" factor.
The other way to look at it is, you are paying $300 to modernize your Series 2 or 3 to a Bolt.
That is a good idea, I may do that even though I did call. Always good to have proof. Really all this could be avoided if they just put on receipt what is supposed to be done, ie here is your Bolt, your series 2/3 with service number xxxxxxxxxxxx will be deactivated on xx/xx/xxxx.
I think that the ground on this has changed for TiVo, due to the deactivation practicalities and TiVo only recently actually recognizing them, and/or the seemingly unexpected response TiVo got to the offer.
In other words, the "rules" have been bending due to the actual practicalities of it all. With TiVo not explaining matters consistently.
I was told this, in an April 17 TiVo chat session:
Me (4/17/2017 3:43:43 PM): . . . Would you please clarify: when does the 10-day deactivation period begin? From when I actually hook the new Bolt up in my home, or from when TiVo sends its email saying that the new Bolt has been connected (even though the purchaser has not yet actually received the new Bolt)? And, is there a limit as to how long one may delay setting the new Bolt up, without losing the 10-day deactivation period window? Days, weeks, even months?
Peter (4/17/2017 3:46:41 PM): 10 Days from the time of the first connection to the TiVo Service (During guided setup). As far as I have been made aware, there is not a limit to how long that can be delayed. Keeping in mind that if we get out past the 30 day money back guarantee period there will be no options for returning the device.
Me (4/17/2017 3:49:04 PM): Thank you for your information. And just to make sure that I understand, that's when I take the Bolt out and first run Guided Setup, and not starting from what TiVo does on its end to prepare the Bolt and ship it to me, correct?
Peter (4/17/2017 3:49:06 PM): Correct
For whatever it's worth, being that this was a month ago.
Also, from TiVo's website:
30-day money back guarantee
TiVo packages (combined sales of device and Service)
TiVo offers a 30-day money-back guarantee for TiVo packages as described herein. Only initial activations of TiVo packages are eligible for this offer. TiVo package payment plan changes, and hardware replacements are not eligible for this offer. You may cancel your TiVo package within 30 days of activation (which is typically your order shipment date) and return the device to TiVo for any reason for a full refund. The shipping charge for the return is at your expense.
(In point of fact, TiVo covers the return shipping as well.)
My new Bolt isn't scheduled to arrive until the 17th, 2 days after the 15th deadline so I can only assume it will be extended or per the 10 day policy
You are confusing the activation date and the date on which the tivo first connects to the mother ship during setup. Tivo has been very clear about the "when it first connects" part of the deal.
How dare they not deactivate the S2 when they are contractually obligated to have done it about 3 weeks ago. Outrageous.
Well your sarcasm is a bit over the top and rather stupid really. The point is the details of the transfer of service, how it works, when it happens etc is NOT clear and has not proceeded as Tivo claimed it would. All I want to see is a Bolt with lifetime service on my account and the series 2 or whatever Tivo is being deactivated gone. Or some actual paperwork that shows what device is being deactivated so I KNOW nothing can go wrong, such as an email saying I need to CHOOSE which device will be deactivated or they will choose one AND the method for doing that does not work, ie website down almost a week now. If they say the S2 will be deactivated 10 days after I connect the Bolt and it is NOT, and the lifetime service on the Bolt is not "finalized" (which will not happen for 30 days regardless) then I am not SURE of anything. Only when the Bolt shows unchangeable lifetime and the correct S2/3 is gone will I consider the "deal done", nothing can go wrong such as incorrect S2/3 deactivated, lifetime disappearing on Bolt due to some transfer glitch, whatever. So really, unless you have something USEFUL to say why not keep your sarcasm to yourself hmm, some people...............
One way or the other, it will all work out . . . . Enjoy your snappy new Bolts!
One can only assume and hope. Or, no transfers for you . . . .
I've been wondering how flexible the system is or isn't for TiVo on the inside, such that a customer rep. could change a deactivation date as needed by a customer, including on request.
FYI: Email from Tivo just came in. I already made my S2 deactivation selection before the site went down last time.
"Thank you for your patience. We are glad to inform you that the deactivation website will be live again on Wednesday, May 17, 2017. Also, we have extended the deactivation date to May 22, 2017."
Thank you for posting! Presumably, this applies to everyone, and not just you . . . ?