Transfer of Lifetime: From H400 with valid Best Buy Service Plan

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by tazzftw, Aug 11, 2007.

1. tazzftw

tazzftw New Member

Mar 26, 2005
    I have an H400, with TiVo Plus Lifetime, that's been freezing several times a day. When I bought it, I included a four year service plan. I spoke to Best Buy, and they said that they'll simply replace it with another model.

Obviously, the H400 isn't made anymore, so it would be a more recent model. But my main concern is the lifetime status. I know it's for the "lifetime of the box." But will the service be transferable?

2. robomeister

robomeister DVD TiVo Expert

Feb 4, 2005
    Beltsville, MD
    If you get the TiVo serviced at an authorized TiVo service center, and they simply give you a replacement TiVo, they are supposed to transfer any service contract from the broken TiVo to the replacement TiVo. This includes lifetime or monthly contracts.

At least it is supposed to work this way. Good luck. :)

robomeister

3. aztivo

aztivo Member

Feb 23, 2005
    AZ
    I don't believe that they are "supposed" to give you anything it is for the life of the box. I think we all should be thankfull that tivo has been cool enough to do this transfer they do not owe it to anyone!

4. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    In the past TiVo had a policy to transfer lifetime service if a box was replaced (instead of repaired) under an extended warranty. You should contact TiVo directly to find out what your options are. The fact that it is a Toshiba and not a TiVo branded box may make a difference. Please post back what happens for other people's benefit.

Good Luck,

5. tazzftw

tazzftw New Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Update:

:up:

About a month ago, I called TiVo and they said they would transfer the service. So I sent the H400 to Best Buy, and as expected it couldn't be fixed, so I was given a $270 credit for a new box. They were out of the Dual Tuners, but they let me apply the credit toward a TiVoHD. When I got home, I called TiVo again, and they made the necessary change.

Tonight, I made my first HD recordings: Jeopardy, Wheel of Fortune, and Friday Night Smackdown. :confused:

So basically, the 4-year service plan was a great purchase. Sadly, for this very reason, they only offer 2-year plans now. :mad:

6. Toddler

Toddler New Member

Dec 28, 2001
    Franklin, TN
    My parents are in the same spot, but they aren't good at dealing with stuff like that (they're retired, non-technical people). What kind of paperwork or proof did TiVo require to do that transfer for you? Just wondering what they need to be prepared for when they call.