Transfer lifetime subscription from used unit

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by irvr, May 3, 2008.

1. irvr

irvr New Member

Aug 15, 2004

Advertisements

Hi, I purchased a used series 2 box (80hr) with lifetime subscription on it. Can I transfer that subscription to my series 2 dual tuner box? IrvR.

2. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    There currently are no transfer offers, the only way to transfer a Product Lifetime, except for a pre Jan20, 2000, or a service trade-in deal. Your situation is neither of those, so no.

3. PierreS

PierreS New Member

Nov 17, 2002
    Woodinville, WA
    Argh, I'm in the same boat. I have two Tivo Series 2 boxes with lifetime subscriptions I bought in 2002. Now I can't transfer the subscriptions if I want to switch to HD Tivos, which I want to do. It's hard for me to recommend Tivos to others when Tivo's so sporadic about their lifetime subscription support.

P

4. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Aw come on you got what 6 years on your TiVo for a Lifetime cost of at most $299, but in 2002 the price may have been $249, but even at $299 your cost per month was only about $4.20/month, and i would bet the TiVo still has a value of more than $200, that would bring your cost of 6 years of TiVo service down very low.

5. WayneCarter

WayneCarter Active Member

Mar 16, 2003

Advertisements

AND There was nothing at the time that even hinted that the lifetime subs could be transferred under any circumstances. Quite the opposite, the lifetime subscriptions were advertised as being applicable to specific hardware unit(s) by serial number.

6. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Sure there was. First circumstance that tivo allowed lifetime transfers was on subs paid for before January, 2000. Another was in 2002 when the S2 was introduced and Tivo allowed lifetime transfers from an S1 to an S2.

7. WayneCarter

WayneCarter Active Member

Mar 16, 2003
    I am well aware that S1 users were given a limited opportunity to transfer their subs to new S2. At the time the S1s were purchased, there was no indication that such an opportunity would be offered. Once the S1-S2 transfer window of opportunity closed, there was nothing to indicate that it would be reopened again. The fact that the window has been opened for each major equipment release (S2, S2DT, S3, HD) gives some hope that it might be reopened again. But there has never been anything to indicate that it will definitely be reopened, either now or between the previous transfer opportunities. TiVo lifetime subs have always been sold locked to a given serial number.

8. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Nice change to your argument.
    S1's have nothing to do with this discussion. You responded to lessd (who was responding to PierreS who purchased 2 S2's in 2002), by saying "There was nothing at the time that even hinted that the lifetime subs could be transferred under any circumstances"
    You were wrong. Changing your argument cannot change that fact.

Nice try. (not really)