Transfer just recordings to new disk?

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by UpLate2, Aug 29, 2007.

1. UpLate2

UpLate2 New Member

Sep 20, 2003
    This is another thought I had about fixing the problem I mentioned in a previous post. I have an upgraded Series 1 DirecTivo (DSR6000) which is stuck in a Welcome-Almost-Reboot cycle. Based on it's behavior before the problem and the research I've done, I think that it is a problem with the To Do List or Season Passes that it cannot fix. I would take the easy way out and re-image the disk, but there are several recordings that I really want to watch on it.

Is there a way to transfer on a Linux PC just the recordings (no To Do List) from an old disk to a new one for playback in the same Tivo? My hope would be to put the old disk together with a new one restored from a good backup into the PC and be able to pipe the recordings from old to new. Is this something the mfs-utils could do? Any other ideas? Thanks.

2. Da Goon

Da Goon Registered Abuser

Oct 22, 2006
    It is possible, but it's considered extraction so we can't really discuss it here. There is a thread on ddb about removing shows with the drive connected in a pc using the mfs-utils binaries.

(note: there is quite a difference between mfs-tools and mfs-utils. mfs-tools can backup and restore a full image, and is included with the weaknees and mfslive boot disks, etc. mfs-utils includes binaries such as mfs_import and mfs_uberexport which are separate utilities)

3. UpLate2

UpLate2 New Member

Sep 20, 2003
    Sorry for the inadvertent breach of protocol. I did more hunting around and found a reference elsewhere to backing up shows to a PC that might be a useful starting point. We'll see how it goes.

4. Da Goon

Da Goon Registered Abuser

Oct 22, 2006
    No problem. I'd throw out full links and more info if only I could.