Transfer from Premier to Roamio

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by SandiMacD, Nov 17, 2017.

1. SandiMacD

SandiMacD Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Florida
    I just got a Roamio OTA with 1 TB storage. I want to transfer some recordings from my Premier. My only choices seem to be Delete, Play and Keep.
    Are transfers possible?
    Both the remote and the Tivo interface on the Roamio are very different from my other Tivos. Maybe I just haven't found the correct menu yet.

Attached Files:

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    You have Hydra installed. ->TiVo Hydra/Gen4 User Interface reviews and comments thread

Without Hydra you can transfer from/to a Premiere. I understand you can use TiVo Online to do the transfers now.

3. SandiMacD

SandiMacD Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Florida
    Thank you, Joe for taking the time to respond. I am coming to that conclusion that TIVO has opted to remove the transfer option as a screen command that can be selected.

I am not sure why but I hit PLAY on the Roamio for a recorded show on the Premier and somehow the entire show WAS transferred from my Premiere to my Roamio.

I only figured that out by going back to the Premier and scrolling down to the Roamio device to see if it was accessible yet from the Premier unit and I discovered that the show I "played" for a few seconds was now listed as being on the Roamio unit! I tested it by transferring it back to the Premier and sure enough it was available as a transfer option.

I am not sure if the Play button on the Roamio triggers a transfer or not. Since the interface is so overwhelmingly different and confusing I next went to TIVO online. Over the course of today, I transferred 12 other movies after they recorded on the Premiere BUT by 9PM tonight, TIVO Online was no longer accessible. I guess the server was tied up with large numbers of people now being forced to use Tivo Online as their only transfer option. It finally came back up about 15 minutes ago and I was able to transfer 3 more movies. I plan to cut the cord next month and figure it will be nice to have a stash of movie recordings ready to view on the Roamio. I have a direct ethernet connection so each transfer took just a few minutes.

I guess tomorrow I will experiment with the Roamio Play feature again and see if other shows transfer over automatically.

THANKS for the link to the Hydra Forum. I have searched the Tivo site and You Tube and only found one TIVO produced video that introduced the new Hydra UI. It seems a real shame. TIVO did such a great job in the past making USER videos that showed us HOW to use the Tivo interface in great detail. Then they present a UI so totally bizarre and all we get is a PDF file to read and one very short video introducing the design with some highlights but it offers no how-to's. All the Roamio You Tubes I found were with the old UI. I guess the YT market is ripe for me to produce a video on using Hydra after I figure it out.

I sure hope I am not making a mistake by trusting this Roamio to be my cord cutting device.

4. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    You can downgrade to the older gen3 interface it you want.

Scott

5. SandiMacD

SandiMacD Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Florida
    I did find that information in another Tivo forum last night. Am deciding whether or not to return to the familiar interface.

I must say that streaming would be more convenient from the Tivo instead of switching input to Apple TV but it is much less responsive. It takes less time to change inputs and stream an Amazon video over Air Play then it does in Tivo by selecting the Amazon App. Other streaming apps take the same amount of time in Tivo. Perhaps up to or slightly over a minute, while Apple TV launces in terms of seconds.

Given all this, since my primary use is TV, I am more inclined to return to the previous UI.